Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torrent downloads

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 altogether

altogether

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hello everyone! I've been hearing about torrent downloads for a long time now and i figure it's about time I get in on it. But I don't know what I need to start. I know almost nothing about it so if anyone could help me it would be very appreciated!

I'm using windows XP media center edition version 2002 service pack 3....eh if you need to know something else just says so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

From the rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

:thumbsup:

BTW, most malware spread by using torrents.

#3 altogether

altogether
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

oh, woops : )

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

I'm not sure I totally agree with Lloyd T's invocation of the board rules against piracy. Bit Torrent technology is used quite often for legitimate purposes.

Bit Torrent is widely used in the distribution of open-source software and operating systems like Linux and BSD, for example, and there are legal bit torrent services for downloading movies, music and TV shows. Games like World of Warcraft use Bit Torrent to distribute updates.

I do, however, understand Lloyd T's reaction as illegal downloading is the most visible aspect of Bit Torrent technology; it gets all the press. Bleeping Computer, as stated in the rules, does not condone piracy nor will it be suffered to be discussed here. Also, it is not uncommon for pirate torrents to be used as a vector for malware. Avoiding such torrents is recommended for these legal and security reasons.

For an explanation of what Bit Torrent is, read this, this, and/or this.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

I tried torrenting once. After I saw how many people were connecting to my system I stopped it immediately and blocked all of my torrent ports!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Aorp

Aorp

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

I hardly ever trust Peer-to-Peer methods of transferring anything.
"I hate quotations."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#7 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

I will admit I tried torrenting once. Left a bad taste in my mouth, so I stopped (let alone the security risks with p2p software from my understanding of it since it can contain the worst kind of malware....and it's not really a risk I want to take).

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#8 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hello everyone! I've been hearing about torrent downloads for a long time now and i figure it's about time I get in on it. But I don't know what I need to start. I know almost nothing about it so if anyone could help me it would be very appreciated!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=torrents =)

Seriously, every torrent site has a detailed instructions on using torrents...

#9 cristian_ot

cristian_ot

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=torrents =)

Seriously, every torrent site has a detailed instructions on using torrents...

:thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users