Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery Sometimes Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lazerlike42

Lazerlike42

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

I'm a very capable user running a Dell E1505 here. The battery lasted less than a year, and then I replaced it with a brand new battery. This has been in there for at most a month now. The past two days I have had an interesting situation going on. The computer is running Vista Home Premium, and it's running on AC. The battery seems to be working fine. It's detected fine, the PC runs off of the battery, and it charges as well. It's not set to suspend, hibernate, or anything like that at any time; these features are all deactivated because I am never in a situation to use them.

However, for the past few days, I have closed the lid and then gone to sleep at night, but when I have opened it up the next morning, I have the red X icon that says the battery is not detected. I've unseated the battery and clicked it back in each time, and it is immediately recognized and operates completely normally as described above after that. The first time that this happened, I thought it may just have been some odd thing as can happen now and then with computers, and I ignored it. I went through my day using the E1505 as usual: leaving it unattended for minutes or hours while doing other things, closing the lid before going to the store, opening the lid again, etc., and it worked fine. However, when I awoke this morning the X was there with the no battery message. I again unseated and reseated the battery, and all seems normal.

I'm a bit confused, as well as concerned about the situation. Any thoughts? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

Even though you have disabled the hibernate and suspend functions if you dont fully shut the laptop down it will go into power saving modes depending on what the dell power management software is set to, and it sounds like the battery isnt waking up, tonight try fully shutting the laptop down and restarting and see if the issue re-occurs.

#3 Lazerlike42

Lazerlike42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

Update - it had done it again when I came home tonight.

If I unplug the AC, the computer immediately switches to battery power, recognizing the battery and switching the meter to battery. If I plug the AC back in, the computer immediately switches back to AC with the battery/plug icon and charges normally. This is different from every other account of "battery not detected" trouble I've read in researching this (quite a few) in that in all of those cases, unplugging the AC caused the computer to run off of battery but without "realizing" that it was. In other words, the icon would remain the Plug with the X over the battery and the PC would think it was on AC power even while operating off of the battery.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

these features are all deactivated because I am never in a situation to use them.

While I'm not all that familiar with battery issues, I'd suspect that the deactivations mentioned above may be causing this.
I'd suggest re-activating them to see if that's the problem. Then disable them one-by-one to see which one is the culprit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Lazerlike42

Lazerlike42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

these features are all deactivated because I am never in a situation to use them.

While I'm not all that familiar with battery issues, I'd suspect that the deactivations mentioned above may be causing this.
I'd suggest re-activating them to see if that's the problem. Then disable them one-by-one to see which one is the culprit.

I don't think that's the case... I've always turned these off on all of my laptops, including this one, and it's never been a problem before.

Now when the battery is charged 100%, what should the icon say? Mine currently says "100% available (plugged in, charging). It shouldn't be charging if the battery's full, though. I've tried to google this issue and all I've come up with is some stuff for a Sony laptop and the general consensus there seems to be its normal. I've checked the 5 light meter on the actual battery and it I in fact full; it's not simply the software or BIOS thinking it is full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users