Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps messaging "invalid boot diskette," and is unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 biancoinpa

biancoinpa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

The message I get is in two lines, the first of which is "Invalid Boot diskette," and directly below, a second line that reads, "Insert BOOT diskette in A:"

What's got me completely buffaloed is the fact that I've switched hard drives (the original had Windows XP, Media, the second, switched HD had Windows 98) but the same message keeps coming up. I've checked the bios and changed the boot sequence so that the cd-drive was the first in line to boot, with Windows 98 cd in the CD drive. When that didn't work, I changed the boot sequence so that the floppy drive was first and used a Windows 98 startup disk in the floppy drive but that didn't get me anywhere, even though I managed to get to the CD on its drive and trigger setup.

Hope this makes some sense to you guys and results in a doable course of \action for me.

BTW, I downloaded the paramedic fromthis site and it didn't solve anything. Is it possible that there's a gremlin loose on my motherboard?

Thanks in advance,

Trappist

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

The only "diskette" referenced...implies a floppy.

There is no way that anyone can use Win 98 to boot into XP...you cannot boot into XP from DOS.

I guess that I don't see the point of putting a Win 98 CD in at all.

....changing boot drives in an XP system is not recommended, Move Harddrive to a New Windows XP System - http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm AND Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

In other words...you are supposed to have the situations you have been presented with.

The question is...what are you trying to do...and why...if you had a perfectly good system beforehand?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users