Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Bootsector

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Deadman

Deadman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:18 AM

My computer has a corrupt bootsector, and 90% of the time I try to boot it up I get the 'blue screen of death'. However, I am unable to fix this problem. Using fixboot or fixmbr on the Recovery Console simply increases the chances of a sucessful boot to about 70%, and thats if I use it after every restart. Chkdsk freezes up when it runs, so that wont work either.

Once I do get it working through, certain problems occur. The sound usually kicks out within a certain time (say, 10 minutes). Once the sound has 'kicked out' any program, media player, and so on that I try to run will not have sound. However, if I start up the application/game and leave it on hold (such as start playing a movie on WMClassic and leave it paused) before the sound 'kicks out' it will run normally, but starting a second WMClassic will have no sound.

Another problem, which I do not know if related, is that the vsmon process occasionally keeps using huge amounts of RAM. WinPatrol has nothing on this proccess, so I don't know what it does.

And lastly, certain programs refuse to run. Any variant of internet explorer, anti-virus (Norton Freezes up after click 'next' at the introduction window, Kapersky crashes when trying to scan the PC), and even WMP10 freezes (while WMClassic works).

For those who are curious, the error code I get on the blue screen of death is as follows:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86F5A030, 0x00000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like you may need a new HD and a fresh install of Windows.

Download and run Everest Home Edition:
Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more

Download
Here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

When you run it, scroll down the tree on the left side panel, open the branch for storage devices by clicking on the "+" and click on "Smart".

Choose the HD involved if you have more than one HD.

Right click on "Smart" and generate a "quick report".

Do you see any values there that are not "normal" or "always passing"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users