Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Code 10!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JagX22

JagX22

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

I have a Maxtor 3200 Personal Storage external hard drive. I have tested it in multiple computers but I am still confronted with the same problem. I plug the hard drive in and the computer registers that it has been connected. However, once it is in, it doesn't display when I check under My Computer. I went into the device manager and completely uninstalled the driver. Then, I went to add hardware and when it was discovered it still led to the same issue. A little yellow triangle with an exclaimation point in it next to the device. When I go into properties it reads Code 10: This Device Cannot Start. As I said I tried connecting it to different computers but I still have the same problem. I am not sure where to begin with this one, any help will be greatly appreciated. I will provide any details needed to get this issue resolved :thumbsup:

Thank You!

-John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Code 10
If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

1. Update the driver.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendorís Web site.

2. View the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Complete troubleshooting information is provided in the following article. Please see this article for help. For more information about Code 10-related errors , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 943104 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/ ) Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates on Windows XP-based computers

Since it's an external drive (which should not require a driver, since it's USB-connected...I would assume that there is a failure of the enclosure...not the hard drive. It could be the drive, but an enclosure is much more likely to fail, IMO.

If the enclosed drive came with drivers/software...I would uninstall same...and then reinstall a fresh copy of same.

I would open the enclosure, remove the hard drive...and attach it directly to the motherboard to see if it is recognized when attached directly.

Louis

#3 JagX22

JagX22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Louis,

I appreciate all of your help. I did as you said and ran into another issue. I checked the drivers and all that, but still no success. I moved onto the Microsoft Code 10 troubleshooting page but still no success. Finally, I opened up the casing of the hard drive, took out the HDD and plugged it straight into my computer. I didn't initially adjust the jumpers as they were already set to slave. I started up my computer but nothing comes up. I tried adjusting all of the plugs to make sure that they are in tightly, I also tried adjusting the jumpers to each possible position that I could come up with. I had no luck with any of that. In the meantime, I put the jumpers back to how they were when I took the HD out, and tried a few more times with no success. Do you think it could be an issue with the BIOS? If so how do I set them to auto detect the HD. Also, I read that the upgrade to Service Pack 3 lead to many compatability issues with other Maxtor 3200s. I think maybe because I have SP3 it won't detect the HD, but I am not sure. Are there any other things that you might be able to suggest that could resolve this issue??

Thank You for all your help!

John

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

FWIW: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...orage/ps3200-sw

Jumper settings need to be changed only when necessary, there are 2 possibilities for correct jumper setting on any PATA hard drive connected to the motherboard.

a. Cable Select jumper setting must be employed if there is another drive on the IDE cable and it uses the C/S setting. If the drive is the sole device and is attached to the end connector on the cable, then the user has a choice of either C/S or Master.

b. If is another device on the cable and it uses either the Master or Slave setting, then the hard drive must use the respective Master/Slave setting. The device connected on the end is the Master, the device connected on the "middle" connector is the Slave.

You can attempt to download and run the manufacturer's diagnostic of SeaTools for DOS on the drive. It will probably provide the best assessment of the drive's ability to perform.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

Louis

#5 DP7

DP7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hey Jaqx22,

Wow, I have the exact same device and experiencing the exact same issue with one exception (and not sure if I missed your mention of this) my drive sounds like its physically not working. I plug it in, the light comes on, but no hum, buzz, feel, or anything - its completely quiet. I'm not as tech savvy, but I'm thinking before I can run any manufacturer's diagnostics there needs to be some form of movement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users