Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Protect 2009 trojan/spyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jrandaz2

jrandaz2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

I seemed to have picked up the trojan/spyware called Spyware Protect 2009.

It essentially installs a program that acts as a fake spyware checking program, frequently producing popups that say your computer is at risk. It also makes Internet Explorer and Firefox VERY slow; it takes around 1 - 2 mins just to load some websites. I am redirected to a Microsoft security site occasionaly when I try to open run a search using the Windows search feature.

I've already removed the program from my start up list using msconfig, so I no longer get the annoying popups. I am unable to revert to a previous system restore point. Macafee anti-virus software does not detect anything. I can not open Spybot - Search and Destroy. CWShredder runs, and removed one file. I was only able to install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware after renaming the install file, but I can not run it now that it's installed. Ad-Aware seems to work ok, but did not solve the problem.

There are suggestions on other websites for files to search for and delete, but none of these files are showing up on my computer.

Does anyone have any further steps I can take?

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 23 February 2009 - 03:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

You have posted in the wrong forum, you should have posted in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

This tutorial might be able to help How to remove Spyware Protect 2009

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

If you have problems following the self-help guide, or questions, or if you encounter problems, please reply to the this thread.
Good luck,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 jrandaz2

jrandaz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks a lot for your help.

I have read many tutorials for removing Spyware Protect 2009. However, none of the files or registry items listed on those tutorials are present on my computer. Also, I was unable to launch Malewarebytes' Anti-Malware program or any other popular spyware/malware removers. That is, until I renamed the executables for those programs. I renamed mbam.exe (which was always blocked somehow by Spyware Protect 2009) to TOOL.exe and it launched just fine. After running Anti-Malware, I followed up by running Spybot, Ad-Aware, and McAfee virus scan. The combination of all of these programs seemed to do the trick.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users