Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium Startup Slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 byte007

byte007

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hi !
I have an HP Pavilion A6010n with Intel Core 2 4300 @ 1.8 Ghz. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
I've had this computer since June 2007 and over time it has slowed down. On February 7th I upgraded my RAM from 1 GHZ to 4 GHZ (I installed all new Crucial memory). This seemed to speed things up a little. On February 14th I installed a new network adapter card: Netgear Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter - GA311 - along with the Netgear driver provided on their CD. I have noticed a longer startup time recently; I'm not certain whether it had anything to do with either of these installations or if it is purely coincidental. The event log showed that I had been getting the following: "Critical - Event ID 100 - Boot Performance Monitoring" as far back as 11-04-08 (more on that later in this post). I have used a stopwatch to time the startup process and found that the time from hitting the power button until the logon screen comes up is usually between 1 minute and 45 seconds to 2 minutes and 4 seconds ( during this process, the "Microsoft Corp" screen is displayed for approx 1 minute 30 seconds). After I enter my password it takes between 1 min 10 seconds to 2 minutes until it finishes loading applications. The hard drive light will then continue to flash constantly for another 2 mins and 45 seconds to 3 mins and 45 seconds. I have done some looking around the internet regarding this problem and I have learned that the load time after you enter your password can be affected by the number and type of startup items that you have. Am I correct in assuming that startup items such as programs, IM's etc don't affect the time from hitting the power button until the logon screen comes up? What could cause slowdowns at this stage?
Please bear with me now because I am new to "Performance Information and Tools". On the "Advanced Tools" page under "Performance Issues" it lists 3 warnings: 1. Drivers are interfering with Windows entering sleep mode. View details. 2. Drivers are interfering with Windows resuming from sleep mode. View details. (Under details for the preceding 2 warnings: Name- Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver / Filename- igdkmd32.sys / Device- Intel 82945G Express Chipset family / Date reported- JAN 10 2009 & JAN 12 2009). The 3rd warning: Performance can be improved by changing visual settings. (Under details it says: The current visual settings might not result in the best computer performance. You can try closing some windows, turing off windows transparency, lowering resolution or changing your color scheme to Windows Vista Basic).

In the "Event Log" under "Diagnostics-Performance Operational" I see "Critical - Event ID 100 - Boot Performance Monitoring". Here is the "Details" tab info:
+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
[ Guid] {cfc18ec0-96b1-4eba-961b-622caee05b0a}

EventID 100

Version 1

Level 1

Task 4002

Opcode 34

Keywords 0x8000000000010000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2009-02-23T15:59:58.016Z

EventRecordID 6876

- Correlation

[ ActivityID] {00000000-06C8-0000-4DE5-3155CF95C901}

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 1604
[ ThreadID] 1936

Channel Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Computer Tino-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-19

- EventData

BootTsVersion 2
BootStartTime 2009-02-23T15:56:47.687Z
BootEndTime 2009-02-23T15:59:53.589Z
SystemBootInstance 732
UserBootInstance 451
BootTime 155566
MainPathBootTime 66877
BootKernelInitTime 26
BootDriverInitTime 1830
BootDevicesInitTime 4234
BootPrefetchInitTime 50538
BootPrefetchBytes 313147392
BootAutoChkTime 0
BootSmssInitTime 2875
BootCriticalServicesInitTime 916
BootUserProfileProcessingTime 943
BootMachineProfileProcessingTime 544
BootExplorerInitTime 2765
BootNumStartupApps 33
BootPostBootTime 88689
BootIsRebootAfterInstall false
BootRootCauseStepImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits 0
BootIsDegradation false
BootIsStepDegradation false
BootIsGradualDegradation false
BootImprovementDelta 0
BootDegradationDelta 0
BootIsRootCauseIdentified false

I looked back in the event log and saw that I had been getting the "Critical - Event ID 100 - Boot Peformance Monitoring" as far back as 11-04-08.

FYI: I keep my Windows Updates current. I use McAfee antivirus Plus and keep it updated.
I thought that I may have picked up a virus or some spyware so I ran a full McAfee scan and it found nothing. I downloaded and ran Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware and they didn't come up with anything to worry about. I also ran Spyware Doctor and it also didn't find anything.

I hope that this gives you a good starting point; please let me know if you require further information. I look forward to your reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 byte007

byte007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

I forgot to mention that besides the startup being slow, Internet Explorer (internet response time) has gotten slower over time as well. (I have high speed internet through Cox).

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

Slow boot issues in Vista are very vexing. I'd suggest disconnecting from the internet and then disabling the startups listed in MSCONFIG.EXE. Then reboot to see if the performance increases.

If that fixes it, then start enabling things one-by-one until you take the performance hit again - and that one is the one that's likely to be causing the problem.

Don't forget to disable MSCONFIG.EXE after you finish testing. It's only designed as a troubleshooting tool and has been known to cause problems when not disabled. A better option for permanently disabling startups is the free program Autoruns available here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

This is a simplistic approach that does not consider all the factors that may be causing this problem. For example, motherboard/RAM/hard drive issues can cause these symptoms also (hard drives are the most common). So I'd suggest running the Vista memory diagnostic ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-vista-windows-memory-diagnostics-tool/ ); Vista Startup Repair ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ ) and a hard drive diagnostic from the support website of the manufacturer of your hard drive (links in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users