Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am confused which is best AV program

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

I've been reading the forum and got tons of information I don't know what to do with it. I had McAfee but heard it was a resource hog (only hog I want is on my table). So, I got Avast 4! Home Edition. But then I printed out what it didn't cover compared to their paid version and that started me thinking (never a good thing). It doesn't have several features which I think would be advantageous. Free version doesn't: 1) store scan results (and I need that as I forget things as soon as I blink); 2) doesn't let me create my own antivirus tasks (which I know so little anyway that might not be a hindrance); 3) schedule tasks. I need an easy-to-understand hopefully, free version of AV software that doesn't use a lot of resources and has features which would be beneficial. I practice all of the things about safe surfing, downloading, etc. and have not had many problems except those caused by the user (yours truly).

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

I have yet to find 1-3 very important myself. As long as the AV provides real protection, launches on start up, and automatically checks for definition updates, your computer---if you exercise care in surfing, downloading, and opening E-mails) should be relatively safe. Scheduled scans of your hard drive (s) are unneeded, as long as you are careful to do so on a regular basis (I do so as a part of routine maintenance). If you find anything of importance in the scan results log, it is easy to copy and paste the information into you word processor for reference.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html At the avast site you can read the PDF users manual, downloading would be better because it is 80+ pages. If you are still using avast it can be set up with your screensaver to scan every time it activates. If your worried about logs make a notepad file and copy & paste them for reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users