Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troublesome HP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LizardKing64

LizardKing64

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

Hi guys,

My girlfriend's laptop is on the fritz. I turned it on to get a file off of it today and it seemed to boot up normally, though I wasn't really watching it. It's running Vista and got to the password screen, where I noticed that it was frozen with some black lines in the very center of the screen. So I turned it off and on again. This time it turns on, with all the blue lights on the keyboard coming on, but turns itself off again after about 5 seconds. It seems to cycle on and off infinitely. The screen never turns on at all.

The computer is an HP Pavillion dv6000, will all original parts. I think it's about 2 years old by now.

So far I have tried booting it up on battery alone, with the AC adapter, and have pulled the battery and tried the adapted alone. All had no results. I have been reading some forums and a lot of people point to a loose CPU or possibly a cooling problem.

Are there any things that I should try before I pull the thing apart?

Thanks!

Jeff
Best Regards,
Jeff

"Bart: I was so bored I cut the pony tail off the guy in front of us.
[holds pony tail to his head]

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Can you boot into Safemode and remain running? If yes, you can more or less rule out the CPU or cooling being the culprit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Can you boot into Safemode and remain running? If yes, you can more or less rule out the CPU or cooling being the culprit

I tried holding F8 while turning it on, but the computer turned itself off again and then made a really loud beeping noise like a smoke detector. That can't be good...
Best Regards,
Jeff

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

You don't want to hold the F8 key down, instead you want to tap it, right after the initial black and white load screen
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

You don't want to hold the F8 key down, instead you want to tap it, right after the initial black and white load screen

It never gets to the load screen and the LCD never turns on. I tried tapping F8 while it was in the process of booting, but once again it just turns itself on and off.
Best Regards,
Jeff

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

"It never gets to the load screen and the LCD never turns on."

It should have a connection to hook it to a standard extrenal monitor.
Hook it to an external monitor & see if you get a display.
If you do that eliminates the possibilty of the video adapter being bad.
If you get no display on an external monitor then there is a good probablity the motherboard has failed.

If you got a display on the external monitor turn it off , disconnect the external monitor , & turn it on.
Shine a flashlight on the screen & see if you can see a faint display.
If you can the backlight has failed.
If you can't then there is [obviously] another problem.
It would more then likely be the power inverter for the display or the cable that connects the display to the computer.
In either case it would be wise to return it for service or take it to a shop where they can determine the solution without guessing.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

....and like all the other HP notebook threads. Contact HP via live chat. If it has an NVidia chipset it might be eligible for an extended warranty to replace the motherboard. You might get lucky.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

....and like all the other HP notebook threads. Contact HP via live chat. If it has an NVidia chipset it might be eligible for an extended warranty to replace the motherboard. You might get lucky.

I contacted HP's live chat and the rep said that the problem should be covered by an extended warranty. They are mailing me a box to ship the laptop back to them. So hopefully it all works out. Thanks everyone for your input.
Best Regards,
Jeff

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Nice catch dpunisher!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users