Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer CleanUp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

Hello All -- I am following the recommendations in the 'pinned' folder for 'slow computer' fixes. I don't have a particularly slow computer, but I have not performed maintenance in awhile, so this can only help. I've defragmented and run disk cleanup from system tools. I use Counterspy as my anti-virus and it updates the definitions automatically, and scans in the wee hours every 24 hours. The scan usually takes about an hour, and it almost always only finds 'low risk' cookies which I clean immediately. The pinned folder's recommendation is to run more than one anti-virus program, so I will likely add spy bot, etc. It also recommends that I perform an anti-virus scan in safe mode. Why safe mode? I know how to get my computer into safe mode, but am not sure how to scan in safe mode. I'm sure I can figure that out. But before I 'go there', is this even necessary given that the anti-virus program already scans each night? If there is an advantage to scanning for viruses in safe made, then I will do that...otherwise...no. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

Please disregard. Had I scrolled to the bottom of the tutorial page, I would have seen the reasoning (behind safe mode) explained (plus the links to the good, free anti-virus page).

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

The pinned folder's recommendation is to run more than one anti-virus program.

I think what was suggested is that you run more than just a anti virus, like having a firewall, anti spyware, anti malware.

One of the reasons to run the scans in Safe Mode is because there are a limited amount of applications running which makes this a ideal mode for running scans. There are also some types of infections that can hide is normal mode. I'm sure that someone from our HJT Team can address this in more depth.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users