Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless notebook card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dumduck

dumduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hi.
I am trying to load a wireless notebook card "Belkin" onto my daughters Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop the installation disk stalls on load,,, Program Error "start.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows you will need to restart the program" an error log has been generated.
This laptop has been reloaded with Windows 2000 pro and is a clean install there is nothing else on it and it has never been connected to the net I have tried all I know but cannot rectify this problem. I have tried the installation disk on another win 2k machine and all is ok it loads.
some help please.
regards
DD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Sounds like the CD might be damaged.
You could go to Belkin's support site:
http://www.belkin.com/support/
And download the driver from there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:07 AM

thanks for your reply but as I said the disk works on another Win 2k machine.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

Downloading the driver from the Belkin website (on that machine) will tell you about more than just the CD.
Different CD drives read differently - minor differences in the head alignment between one or the other can cause read issues.
There's a different software mix on the other machine - so what works there may not work on the machine that isn't working.

You can (presumably) connect to the internet with that computer using a wired connection to download the drivers. If not, then download them on another system, copy to a flash drive (it's easier than making CD's) and walk it over to the system in question.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:15 AM

Many thanks Usasma. I did just that and it worked. I have another problem you may be able to advise on, since I have changed the O/S to Win 2k the display has gone to basic 16 bit colour and is the only choice with screen resolution of 800 by 600 pixels, I'm not sure why but maybe the chipset drivers may need changing if so where ? I have searched the Dell site but can't find any.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Most likely it's your video drivers and not the chipset drivers.
Go to this link and enter your service tag number: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen
If you don't have a service tag, you can enter the model number.

There may be several choices for the drivers - if that's the case, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Click on the + sign next to Display Adapter and then let us know what it says there (I don't have a running copy of 2000, so I may be a bit off in my descriptions).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hi.
I located a video file on the Dell site -: R80894.exe I downloaded it onto a mem stick and transfered it to my laptop and put it into a folder, yet when I come to reinstall the driver for the VGA adapter it is not seen in that folder, I do this via the device manager, strange!!.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

Double click on the R80894.exe file. It will automatically extract and install the video driver for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users