Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I pause automatic updates that have started?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yeto

yeto

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

I am using Windows XP SP2.

Is it possible, while downloading MS automatic updates, to pause the updates?

I have searched on the internet and the information I have found says that you should be able to click on the shield in the system tray and click pause but when I click on the shield nothing happens.

I also read somewhere that you can go to start > run > services.msc and do some stuff and stop the service(but I’m wondering if the download will start where it left off if I do that).

Also, what happens if I go to start > control panel > automatic updates and check “turn off automatic updates” during a download ? Will the download continue where it left off?

The problem is I am in the process of downloading SP3 and I am on dialup and the file has been downloading for 3 hours and is only at 5%. I need to do some work on the internet and the download is slowing my computer down. If anyone knows the best way to pause the download I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Yeto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

XP SP3 to make a cd

Well, run this link, then make a cd. OR ask a friend with broadband to download that and burn you a cd.

OR start the download before you go to bed, hope its done by morning.

Edited by rosiesdad, 23 February 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#3 yeto

yeto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

So do you think on my system that it is not possible to pause the download?

Thanks,
Yeto

#4 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

I don't know about pausing a Microsoft update but if you have to get work done you can cancel it then re-download it at a more convenient time.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

...and you don't have to use Windows Update to get SP3, you can download one big file from http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details...;displaylang=en

Just click the Download button.

Since you are on dialup, I suggest having someone with a faster connection just download from the link above (ignore all the suggestions to use Windows Update if you have a single computer) and burn it to CD for you. You can then install it on your system from CD.

Louis

Edit: I just noticed that Rosie'sdad posted the same link :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#6 yeto

yeto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I stopped the download so that I could get some work done. What happens to the partially loaded files?

I also noticed that one of the updates was for malicious software scanning software (about 9 megs I think).

It was recommended by this forum that a good malicious software package is MalwareBytes which is what I have been using but do you think it would be a good idea to download the package from MS and use it also?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Yeto

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

You don't have a choice with the Malicious Software Tool, it's a critical update (and a good tool, IMO).

One thing to always remember...there is no single program that catches everything. Malwarebytes is good, but I would supplement it with something a little different (like Spybot S&D).

Every system needs 1 firewall...1 reliable AV program...and probably at least 2 programs dedicated to dealing with malware items which will get by a firewall and and AV program.

...and a backup program for situations not anticipated.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users