Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive C free space reduced after system restore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nguyenat

nguyenat

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

hi guys, I have been browsing through the topics here. and although there have been a few that address the problem of reduced free space, no solution seems to work for me here.

I'm running on windows XP, and my C drive is 60GB. the first time when I had system restore, the drive had like almost 40GB free space. but after my second system restore just now, it shows only 20GB free space. I have tried running disk cleaner (even deleting the old restore points), Ccleaner and deleting all other temporary files, but the drive still cannot have much more free space.

the weird thing is, even though drive c shows only 20GB free space and 40GB used space, when I open drive C, and display all hidden files and folders and see properties, it shows that all files and folders under C only occupy about 17GB.

I am really troubled over this. please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

TreeSize Free
V2.2.1

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

You might try this
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 nguyenat

nguyenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

hey thanks for the pointer. i ran treesize and it returned that my drive C is only using about 18GB of space, out of 60GB.

and so it puzzles me how windows keeps showing that there are only 20GB of free space :thumbsup:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

That's why we call it windoze

You might run checkdisk and defrag
Chewy

#5 nguyenat

nguyenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

hey there, i was defraggling drive C, and realise that there are many many files which had been deleted from my laptop that are parts of the fragments.

and so I suspect that perhaps system restore did not remove them from drive C, and they are occupying my free space now. is that possible?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

I guess it's possible for drive indexing to confuse windows when you have used restore, the deleted files might still be referenced.

You do disk cleanup before defraging don't you?
Chewy

#7 nguyenat

nguyenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

yup yup. disk cleanup managed to free up about 3GB of space for me here :thumbsup: but according to TreeSize there's still some 20GB unaccounted for.

this windoze thing is really frustrating. I can't afford any music or video at the moment to make space for academic stuff.

and hey, thanks a lot DaChew :flowers:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

System manufacturer and model?

When you refer to restoring...are you talking about using the restore capability of the system manufacturer?

Louis

#9 nguyenat

nguyenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hi Louis,

I'm using an HP Pavilion dv2121. Yes the system restore is by the manufacturer, i.e. I simply started the laptop, pressed F11, and let the software handle the work. There is this Drive D in my laptop that is dedicated to HP_Recovery.

I did that once before, and everything returned to the factory settings, without anything installed by me. but the second time I tried that, the process did not manage to remove all programmes installed by me. like my Adobe CS3 was still there under Program Files folder, and so are Microsoft Office 2007. although they would not run as normal, due to some missing parts and all. and so I had to manually remove them and tried re-installing to make them work.

And now as I follow DaChew's tips on defrag and treesize, I realise a lot of the deleted files are showing up in the file list for defrag. That makes me wonder if windows ever deleted them off as I had thought, or they are what is occupying my "free space" right now.

Thanks a real lot for your attention.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

Are you running an older version of norton's, it had a protected recycling bin?
Chewy

#11 nguyenat

nguyenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

oh no I don't use norton, at all. although the factory settings include norton. but i uninstalled it as soon as reformatting was done.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I was doing a disk check on C, and it always says that "verify drive was unable to complete successfully. do you want to run CHKDSK /F command to correct volume errors?" and when I choose Yes, there's a command window that says, "the type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

#12 nguyenat

nguyenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

and I also just noticed that TreeSize returns this thing on C that's labelled [Files], and I can't locate it anywhere on C.

please have a look at the attached picture. I'd really wanna know if I could just delete off this [Files] thing.

Attached Files

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

Show Hidden Folders/Files
  • Open My Computer.
  • Go to Tools > Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Scroll down to Hidden files and folders.
  • Select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide extensions of known file types.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Click Yes when prompted.
  • Click OK.
  • Close My Computer.

Go back to My Computer, open the C drive, you will see those files, pagefile and hiberfilesys should be fairly large, you can recover some space by turning off hibernate, laptops use that feature more than desktops
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users