Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot computer. Hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status Bad.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iflewjetz

iflewjetz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

OK. Here is all that I have done and the message.
HP Pavillion, Intel. My computer has been running slow the last few months. I have run Adaware, CCleaner and Norton AV and have found the usual spyware, tracking cookies, etc. I did a disk clean up and then decided to run defragmenter yesterday. I went and watched tv and came back to this screen.
Top left it says American Megatrend, www.ami.com
usb 4 storage device auto detecting PRI master IDE hard disk
bunch of lines showing devices
Then Primary Master TQ 100-23 Samsung SV1203n Ultra D<A Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T. capable and status Bad

Then at the bottom

Primary master hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status bad, backup and replace
Press F1 for setup, F2 to continue.

Here is what I did. I pressed F2 and it started up normally. I ran Norton AV and it ran through about 100,000 files the last I checked, I went and did something else. I came back and the above screen was back. I tried to press f2 again, and it keeps going to the XP screen and back here in a loop. I cannot load in safe mode or to an earlier time when it worked. I did the f1 button, but it goes to the computer setup and then back to this screen. I turned it off and this screen pops up right away. I did hear a few weird ticking noises like when you load a program before this happened.

Question: Is my hard drive fried. I have had this computer a few years, probably all they last. If it is--is there any way to get files off of it? Go to Best Buy or something? I have ALOT of songs I purchased from ITunes I would like to have and a bunch of family pictures. And my taxes-already filed and printed, just the info. Please help. Thanks
Tony

Edited by iflewjetz, 23 February 2009 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

The S.M.A.R.T. bad means that your hdd is failing, the clicking that you hear is know as the "click of death". I'm afraid you can count on the hdd failing completely.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 iflewjetz

iflewjetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

is there any way to get my ITunes and pictures and videos off the HD or is it too late. It goes to the Windows XP splash screen then a blue screen with words(but so quick I cant read it) then back to the SMART screen.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

See if you can boot into Safe Mode, what kind of removable media do you have?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 iflewjetz

iflewjetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

it will not boot into safe mode. Does the same thing as regular mode. Removable Media?? HDD is Samsung 120 GB. Can I buy another hd and make it the master and put this old one as the slave and somehow get the info?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

If sounds like the hdd is toast in which means that you may not be able to retrieve any data from it.

#7 rsmith12573

rsmith12573

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

You might still be able to retrieve data from it. If you are willing to spend a few thousand dollars. There are HDD recovery labs that have technicians to do these things for you. Look up Hard Drive Recovery Services in Google. :flowers:

However, since it will cost you an arm and a leg. It all depends on how important the data is to you and wether or not you have the cash to spend. :thumbsup:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

"There is no place like 127.0.0.1" from MVPS HOSTS

#8 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Once you have heard the clicks and have experienced the "cycling" of different loading screens as it appears you have, there really is no turning back. I am afraid that your hard drive is beyond repair, though it has not completely failed. Only, it has failed to be productive anymore. It can power on and spin up, but it cannot "legibly" read anymore.
I'm sorry to tell you that.

But this is a point at which you can prepare for the future! always have another hard drive as a backup. Make sure to either do regularly scheduled backups or manual ones at your own intervals. I only connect my external 250GB drive whenever I am adding something direly important to me, say documents, pictures, or music. Programs and the like I do need to back up...thanks for reminding me. A backup of xp isn't necessary, imo, just because I have xp partitioned on its own "drive". If Windows becomes corrupted, all I have to do is wipe the partition and reinstall XP; no data loss, no problem. I'd suggest this, but only once you have learned how to do it correctly.

So, for the future--which can be started now--I would purchase a backup drive (internal or external) and have all your important information backed up. You do not want to run into this problem again! ;)

Hard drives are notorious for being unpredictable of when they will fail. Some fail within months, others within decades. So, it is sort of a crap shoot. Just buy a hard drive from a decent company (I'd pick Samsung or Western Digital) and take care of it (don't delete and add all the time or run "lengthy" downloads on that drive that adds data in small bits from the net). That is what lowered my SMART status significantly on a drive I have which constantly downloaded necessary material for days on end. My "writing time" was lowered--which is from the drive having to constantly write for long periods. You can always use SpeedFan to diagnose a SMART issue or see how your SMART status is currently:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
I can't promise how accurate it is, but my status definitely correlates with my activities on the drive.

Best of luck! :thumbsup: ...sorry about your loss, though. :flowers:

Edited by HamSandwich, 26 February 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#9 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hi,
I have an option for you. Nothing to lose but it might not work. It will involve some work but may pay off and allow you to capture your files. :thumbsup:

I would like you to try to boot up with another OS....Linux. You will boot off a CD-Iso. You will run that OS on Ram only. You will then be able to see your HDD, will mount it and transfer files. This is what you need to do...

- Download on another computer Puppy Linux to your desktop. It might take a while so be patient.

- You need to then burn the Iso to a CD disc. Here is a good freeware app if you do not already have one. IsoRecorder

- Now you need to take the Cd to your bad PC. Do you know how to boot from the Cd? During the POST tap Esc (F2 sometimes also works) and get into the Bios. Once in the Bios maneuver to and change the Boot order to Cd. Exit out and choose the option to save your changes.

- Reboot. This will launch Puppy Linux!!! The directions from here are fairly self explanatory to load the OS. It will configure your screen resolution, language...etc.

- When the OS is up and running it will look something like this.
Posted Image

- Right click on your HDD. You will find it in the lower left hand corner of your screen. Choose to mount the drive then you can access it....hopefully

- Connect a flashdrive or external HDD and transfer your files!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

You might still be able to retrieve data from it. If you are willing to spend a few thousand dollars. There are HDD recovery labs that have technicians to do these things for you. Look up Hard Drive Recovery Services in Google. :wacko:

However, since it will cost you an arm and a leg. It all depends on how important the data is to you and wether or not you have the cash to spend. :crazy:

Hmmm...not quite true, you don't necessarily have to spend anything, just invest a little time.  There are free data recovery programs...linux-based methods...and fairly inexpensive data-recovery software which might possibly work.

Members here have reported successfully recovering files, using one or more of the following:

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Data Recovery , GParted, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic474881.html

Data Recovery Using Puppy Linux, Brooks - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/

As previously stated...the status of your hard drive may prevent any recovery efforts from being successful.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2013 - 12:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users