Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - Dump file attached

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The Punisher

The Punisher

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

I keep getting a BSOD on my laptop and it stays for about a second and then the system restarts.

can some one please identify the problem, I have attached the .dmp and the .xml file along with a .txt file

Thankyou

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.zip   27.72KB   10 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

Hi there!

It is rather hard to read a DUMP file and a long XML file. Next time, please paraphrase the text that you saw from the error message and write down the error number and display it here! :thumbsup:

It was not impossible to read the file. I found some information to help you.

From what I read, you have a Dell laptop with an Intel Pentium M Processor 1.6 GHz, right? (Developer info: Model 13 Stepping 8)

Now from what I saw:

*** STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000003,0x80545FF0,0xB2000000,0x0002010A)

"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" -- happens when processors report uncertain information to the system log.

Microsoft Support: Error article 0x9C

Microsoft Support: Understanding and troubleshooting 0x0000009C errors

Help from Microsoft on troubleshooting errors in hardware/software

This error is uncommon, and happens rarely. I have tried many times to help get a resolution from my database, but there is no information in the database.

NEW RESOLUTION FOR ERROR 0x0000009C
-Make sure your drivers are up to date.
-Turn off or unplug external hardware before shutting down or restarting your computer. (DEP)
-Make sure you have 256 MB RAM or more installed on your computer.

Please tell me if you need any help with the resolution! :flowers:

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 23 February 2009 - 03:24 AM.

#3 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:38 AM

Thanks a lot Jay P.

Yes i do have a dell latitude d610 with a 1.6 ghz pentium M processor :thumbsup:

I have downloaded all drivers from dell supports site and am sure that they are up to date.

External hardware as in flash disks? i do remove them properly, other than that i dont have any external hardware connected..

I have 512 mb of ram.

I just spent a lot of money on this laptop and bought a new mainboard for it as the other one was faulty. this laptop will just suck me dry of all my $$ :'(

Please dont tell me it cant be fixed ..

oh and thanks a lot for your helpful reply

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

More RAM may not be the solution, but it definitely will help, 512MB just gets XP going, 1GB will make a big difference in your performance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:53 AM

so will getting more ram fix this problem, id hate to spend more $$ and get the same error even after installing additional ram

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:04 AM

You may not get the error again. What I recommend to go ahead and do is to keep you computer clean of temporary files AT ALL TIMES! To do this well, use the program CCleaner!

EDIT: Make sure you go to Options > Advanced and uncheck the box to "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours" before running a scan.

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 23 February 2009 - 04:05 AM.

#7 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:18 AM

but the computer is not even starting now, i now get the BSOD in the scandisk screen that comes before the startup.

though its working fine in linux :/

what does that mean?

#8 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:36 AM

*Update*

I started up windows using the "Last know good configuration" from the F8 menu.

It worked and windows started up fine, it was working fine too, so i decided to test it properly, i ran the super pi software on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI

i got the same error on loop 4, of the test and the computer restarted.

so does that mean that my processor is at fault or what?

*Update 2*

I tried to reinstall xp by repairing it by selecting the repair option from the windows cd during startup. I got the same BSOD during the file copy process.... ummm... does this now show any hardware failure?

Edited by The Punisher, 23 February 2009 - 05:46 AM.

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

If you can access any of your files, then please back them up.

Do an upgrade installation of Windows XP. This is known as an in-place upgrade of Windows XP.

This will reinstall all files in their normal versions and then install what files are not on your computer.

Once this finishes, which should be one to two hours, then please update your drivers once again. If during the reinstall process of Windows XP, you see a box that gives you the option to select Dynamic Update, then please select it!

Please tell me if you are confused with any information above and I will be glad to help you! :thumbsup:

Please post here if the problem is/is not resolved.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

If chkdsk comes up before boot...then you really need to run the chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) command, once the system boots and the desktop is up.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Black screen with white writing will inform you that chkdsk cannot run now (because you are in Windows) and ask if you want chkdsk /r to run at the next boot. Type Y, hit Enter. Reboot and let it run.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

Louis

#11 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

thx a lot for your help guys, but this is a busted processor. ive confirmed.

thankyou for your help

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

I would actually recommend, my friend, to please have the processor checked and tested by a licensed engineer. Most likely he/she can give you assurance on whether or not it is bad.

How to go about this:

Check in your Yellow Pages for computer repair, etc. Call each place to see whether or not they can test processors. If you cannot find anyone, then you may replace it IF you think it is necessary. I will not say that the processor is bad. It could be other errors such as BIOS settings, or even System configuration errors.

Don't give up too early, friend! :thumbsup:

#13 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

thx a lot jay-p

i was definitly going to show my laptop to a local repair person

#14 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Okay, very good!

#15 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:25 AM

k so i gave it to the tech guys and they tell me that i have a fried processor..

but before i go out and buy a new processor i want to confirm that the new one will not get fried as well. also i want to confirm if this was my fault or not.

so when i was changing the mainboard i removed the processor and the heatsink, i then really cleaned the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink to a shiny level i.e. cleaned it so much that both of them had a reflective surface lol.

so i read on the internet that there is supposed to be some kind of heat transfer solution between the processor and the heatsink.

so was it maybe because of this my processor got fried..?? but even before the cleaning there was not much on the surfaces, there was some thin layer of something that i thought was dirt or oily fingers prints :/

also can a mainboard fry a processor? that is a faulty mainboard? if i get another processor and install it in this board with the proper heat transfer precautions then is there any chance that the processor may get fried again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users