Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installshield problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

I've had this problem occur with a number of software packages I've bought in the past. First of all, I should say it usually (though not always) appears to occur when the software name or part of its run-path contains spaces. I'm running Win XP Pro SP2, for info.

I recently bought a piece of software and its setup file, when double-clicked, launches Installshield. However, Installshield opens an unexpected grey box with the following contained inside:

Command line parameters:
/L language ID
/S Hide initialization dialogue. For silent mode use: /S
/v/qn.
/V parameters to MsiExec.exe
/UA<url to InstMsiA.exe>
/UW<url to InstMsiW.exe>
/UM<url to msi package>

I don't know how to get around this and all I can do is click 'OK', the grey box closes and the installation ends.

I've fiddled with things like changing the permissions of the file to be 'run in Win95 mode', which enables me to install the software, but then there are problems when it comes to running the software after installation.

I'd prefer to fix the problem at the Installshield end, believing that a modern installation file should work simply by double-clicking when the user has the most up-to-date version of Windows out (or thereabouts anyway)!!!

Anyone got any bright ideas? I've come across this problem so frequently, it must be a common problem for others!

cym.

My Webpage
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

"If you declare that you can create a machine that will peel a potato, he will proclaim it impossible ...
Yet if it peels a potato before his very eyes, he will say it is useless since it cannot slice a pineapple!"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:47 AM

Hi,
While you're waiting for a reply from one smarter than me give this a shot...

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q111006
Where ever you go.................. There you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users