I think since there is no 100% fix for this thing, I will just reformat the computer. How can I ensure that the infection is not spread to any files that I may transfer from the old format to the new? Is there anyway the infection can stay on the system other than spreading to transferred files?
2 guidelines/rules when backing up
1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not
backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.
The main files that will be transferred are pictures, spreadsheets, word documents, etc. I can reinstall any software for the computer rather than copying instal files over. I just wish my removeable disc had enough space for my itunes library....
You can transfer it to another computer if you want and the back your music files again and then transfer it to the same computer over and over again until you have backed up all your music files
Also, if you are going to use a flash-drive/removable drive I suggest you run this tool first.Download and Run FlashDisinfector
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden file named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.
- Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
- Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
- The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
- Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
- Reboot your computer when done.
Then you can do a reinstall
. This will not remove any of your files or pictures etc... it just reinstall windows onto your Drive. If you partitioned your drive it would be easier because you just have to reinstall windows on that one drive, and all your other data will be safe.
However a format
will remove everything
. If you need help reinstall or formating please start another topic in the XP forum as this forum is only removing malware infections. Thanks.
Hope that helps. Any thing else you want to ask?