Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down on startup but maybe hardware issue.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

I'm new here, but first off my Vaio desktop VGC-RB44G has encountered a problem.

Prior to the computer crashing on startup, the computer froze while I was away at work. Given that I had no control over the computer including the task manager, I had to manual hard reset. As the computer turned on, the VAIO logo and Windows loading screen seemed a little fuzzy around the edges. Then at the Welcome screen or Desktop, the computer just turns off.

To my thought, I did verify and did the followings in order:
-Opened the casing of the desktop to check if all wires and chips were not loose.
-Air dusted and cleaned any dusts in the case and all areas.
-Checked BIOS to make sure Motherboard was not fried.
-Safe Mode, Networking, VGA, BOOT logging works.
-Ran Checkdisk (CHKDSK) in safe mode including chkdsk with F parameter and R parameter. (Now this is where things gets weird. -The common applications like iTunes, AOL, Quicktime, McAfee Virus Scan, all failed to boot and start and I tried reinstalling the programs, but I was given a error message that the files are damaged.)
-Installed the Vaio Recovery Media Kit to restore the computer to factory settings and including the partition. (so all data is clean)
-Started safe mode again to re-check in CHKDSK and with F and R parameters. The disk came up as clean.

So then I went to VGA mode and the Sony Application installer booted and reinstalled all Sony files. Then I went to connect with the internet to download the new Windows Update including the SP3.

While downloading the update files from Windows Update, my Norton Anti Virus was also updating, but to my shock it blocked a Trojan Horse BLO attack. I had thoughts if this was an overall virus or trojan attack. So I restarted the computer with all updates installed and ran a virus scan , but the computer came as clean.

Now to finally narrow down the problem, my Sony desktop is a stock model and has the ATI Radeon X300 Video Card. I have tried and tested the display features and it turns out that when ever my computer is in low resolution, the computer works, but this is unacceptable. I do not have much experiance as to what to do with my ATI files because upon restarting the computer again, but the DrWatson Debugger pulled a Error Message and the usual Windows Help website popped up saying that it is most likely my video driver to be old or needs to be updated or I have to manually go to settings to adjust the monitor settings.

I went to ATI's website to download the X300 series download, but those didnt help as the message I got when installing was that I did not have a newer DirectX8 and the device was not the correct one.

So I checked the ATI in my Programs folder and double checked the files, but the installer file seems to not work at all.

I am certain this has to do something with the hardward because I know that if the monitor/graphics were not the correct settings the computer will shut down the system , but any help will be much appreciated! If you need more info let me know.

Zerofighter-

Edited by ZeroFighter, 22 February 2009 - 08:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Is this the one you tried:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-downl...52&os_id=16
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

Hi Budapest, nice to meet you!

I have not tried that download yet, but I will give it a shot.

It seems that whenever I try to run at high resolution the monitor and computer shuts down. Right now I am running this computer in low resolution and I deleted a possible corrupted ATI program file. I will try your recommended download and I will let you know ASAP how this went. Thank you so much in advance!- Zerofighter

#4 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Just an update.

First of all, the computer now runs after I deleted the previous ATI program. Now it has the new ATI program files thanks to Budapest's help with the Sony software. The computer now works, however it is using a 1024 x 768 screen resolution with 32 Bit color.

The problem (where the screen goes blank and the computer restarts) still occurs whenever I do the followings:
-I change the monitors screen resolution to a more higher resolution.
-I download the sony monitor ATI Radeon X300/X1500 graphics card driver and operate that under the normal 1280 x 1024 resolution. I get the correct resolution but the monitor will soon shut down.

Couple things I noticed which is different compared to when I purchased the computer is:
-The ATI graphics logo/icon does not appear under the taskbar. (*I believe this can be fixed by right clicking and changing the properties to show the item, but I am not sure if this fixes the issue)

-In Display Properties under Default Monitor and Properties, the Adapter tab does not show any "Adapter Type" and has all Adapter Information as unavailable. If I click the properties tab, the Vgasave Properties window appears and in General tabs, the info is also unknown.

In general there must be something still wrong with the monitor, VGA adapter?, and video card driver.

I am still wondering what causes this type of problem because I never play games on this computer and I had no records of using the computer that often. -Zerofighter

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

You probably need to install this one also:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-downl...56&os_id=16

Edited by Budapest, 24 February 2009 - 06:49 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi Budapest!

Yes i have already downloaded that softwre as well.

Interestingly, when I checked my Device Manager, under the "Diasply Adapters" has the Radeon X300 driver. It was disabled so I enabled this. This in turn also showed the monitor in device manager.

The odd part is I check my display properties again and it shows the resolution as 640x480 px at 8color bit. I do have the correct menu where the resolution slider can be adjusted in more resolution. I still don't have the ATI's properties. When I increase these settings to the (normal settings) the monitor shuts off and the computer is still on.

I don't just get this at all. :thumbsup:

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Do you have another monitor you can try?

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

I don't have another monitor I can try this with. I am wondering why even the recovery discs cannot fix driver issues when I completely reinstalled the partition and factory settings. The computer is only 3 years and had no problems with this.

Then again I'll have to keep on trying things. I am beginning to wonder if it is something else on the computer that is wrong. Do you know of any other ways to see if my computer is running ok, like say an online computer check up program?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

I would try booting into Safe Mode and reinstalling all these drivers.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

Interesting find I found.

1) I reinstalled the drivers in safe mode but that still did not completely solve the graphics problem. The computer seems to play DVDs in low resolution.
2) I was able to change the monitors resolution to 1280 x 1024 at 32bit color and I repositioned the screen and this fixed the flickering problem.
3) When I installed the ATI programs and start the computer at the 1280 x 1024 resolution the computer shuts down. So I had to go back into undoing this process.

but the problem is where I don't have the ATI program on startup in the taskbar and I cannot view DVDs smoothly or even look at itunes' album scroll feature and I still cannot seem to get a higher resolution with the ATI programs.

Definitely there is something wrong with the driver. I checked the video card again to check if anything was loose but so far it doesn't seem so.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

Which ATI programs are you installing?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

I was installing the ATI program that was on the Sony Vaio's website. Then again, I know that when uninstall the ATI program the monitor shows "VGA adapter" with a question mark and I have to connect to the internet to allow Window update to download a Radeon driver. Right now I just downloaded one that says "ATI Radeon X300/X500/X1500" as the other selections did not say "ATI" so I'm going to see what this will do.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

If that one doesn't work I would try this one:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...mp;lang=English

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

Thanks Budapest!

I'll give Catalyst a try. I just found out 2 things.

When I double checked my Direct 3d and Direct X using "Run" and Dxdiag, the Direct X properties pop up but when I do a screen test the monitor shuts off. Then I simply used windows Restore to restore back the previous settings. Then I tried to download the Direct X download on Microsofts website. Then half way in the download while having itunes opened, the screen became big in 640 x 480 resolution or 160Dpi and then the computer shuts down.
On start up I get a blue error screen saying that the "ati2dvag" program has an error and was stopped and the computer needs to be retarted. The error code was: STOP: 0x000000EA (0x8705CDA8, 0X871D9E20, 0XF7A07CBC, 0X00000001)

I will do catalyst a go and I'll let you know how that goes-thank you so much for your help so far!

EDIT: I tried catalyst but it did not solve the issue. I believe this may be a direct x issue. The computer restarted but it had a pixelated screen on my desktop that looked like the windows logo scattered. I'm going to keep trying this download. I also checked my Direct X and it is also a current version too. Which means this is still a ATI driver issue or Direct X. Both seems to fail. :thumbsup:

Edited by ZeroFighter, 27 February 2009 - 04:29 AM.

#15 ZeroFighter

ZeroFighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:47 AM

Very interesting update Budapest,

I did a virus check on my computer but it did not show up anything. Then I try an online (pandasecurity.com) to check and right now I have 18 infected files (this was probably cookies from the internet. Doing a second scan now and it didn't show up so far). The scanner is going, but I'll edit this post for the results.

Edited by ZeroFighter, 27 February 2009 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users