Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best AGP video card for me?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 k2apacherecon

k2apacherecon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

I'm shopping around for a new AGP video card for my computer. It is an older computer:

Intel Pentium 4, 3.06GHz HT/533MHz/512k, 2GB RAM and 160GB Hard Drive, 430w PSU, AGP version 2.0 4X/1.5V.

I currently have a ASUS GeForce n6600 256MB video card installed, but want to find something better. I'm not looking to get a newer computer anytime soon - for at least a year - and I want to get a better video card for game play.

Initially, I was looking at purchasing a VisionTek HD2600 XT 512MB from a guy I know locally, but I've also read there may be better/faster cards out there for less money than the HD2600 XT. I'm not sure what specs are the best specs to look at when determining the best video card for gaming for my AGP based computer. I've thought core clock speed was key, but am not really sure.

Can any of you recommend the best AGP card for gaming? If it is the HD2600 XT then I'm set, but if not, I would like to here your opinions. Also, if you could advise as to what specs I should be looking for on a video card that are important for gaming vs. lets say, video editing, I would sure appreciate it.

Also, just as an example...I've been looking at the HD2600 XT 512MB and the X1650 PRO 512MB. According to the Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart found here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...ard,2118-7.html

The HD2600 XT is five tiers above what I have now and the X1650 PRO is two tiers, but does that really mean the HD2600 XT is a better video card for gaming? I just don't know.

Thanks!

Edited by k2apacherecon, 22 February 2009 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Look here,

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=rmp_vds

For an idea of which video card is the "fastest" .

To be honest, I wouldn't spend a lot on a AGP card if you plan on buying a new computer in a year.

I undestand there are a lot of people still using AGP but if you buy a new computer it more then likely will have a PCI-E video card slot .
That means you won't be able to move the video card you buy now to the new unit.

Uour 6600 is #106 on the liswt.
The HD 2600 XT is #57 .

In my opinon , if you can get the HD 2600 XT for a reasonable price & it is AGP that would be a pretty fair upgrade.

I have a HD 2600 XT 256MB PCI-E card in one of mine & I'm very happy with it's performance.

One of the bigger considerations when upgrading to newer video cards is power cionsumption.
Many of the newer cards [especially AGP] require a power supply connector.
Some of them require quite a bit of power .
If you buy a AGP video card that requies addition power from the power swupply do your research & make sure your PSU has enough output !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 22 February 2009 - 08:44 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

Interesting list...thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

HD2600XT is an excellent choice. Insure you buy a card with GDDR3 memory. This looks like the best choice for your machine.

The HD3850 is, hands down, the best AGP video card out there; it makes single core processors the bottleneck in a system. There are none better, nor will there ever be. #23 on the whirlpool.net list.

#5 k2apacherecon

k2apacherecon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the list and the advice guys. It has been very helpful. My mind is set on the HD2600 XT 512MB and it sounds like that ought to be an awesome upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users