Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB adapters for iMacs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmll

jmll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

I'm trying to get a wireless internet connection for my flat screen iMac. I've got a Linksys router and a Linksys USB wireless adapter and no driver. Can anyone help? Is there anyway of linking through the ethernet port to the router? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 morris

morris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

If you have an RJ45 UTP Patch cable, Yes!

Run this cable from the Ethernet connection on the back of your iMac through to an available "lan" port on your router!

In theory, this should be enough for you to surf the internet via your broadband connection...

There are times however, When attempting to access a webpage that your mac will attempt to dial a connection.

My I havent studdied enough of the Mac OS X system to remember clearly but I am sure this may help still.

Go to your system settings, and take a look arround for network, networking connections or network connection. something like that, you will know it when you see it. i think it has a globe icon.

once in there you should have a drop down box displaying a list of devices known to available for internet access, i think you can then select the onboard modem and untick? something to disable it. Maybe its required to actually delete or only disable the hardware. i know its not for from that screen!

Once thats done and applied, you should then be able to restart your browser and it will use the TCP/IP connection via your router and ethernet port.

If that fails make sure of a few things...

If you have another computer, can you access the internet from the router?

If the answer is no then ..

Is the router on?
- turn it on

Does your internet connection work via your adsl or cable modem without the router attatched?
-yes? router needs configuring correctly, maybe.
-yes? if the router is an ADSL modem + router all in one then make sure the username and password are correct and check the status section of the router configuration screen and look for system log.
-yes? some routers need the MTU setting lowered to get them to work with some providers
-yes? NTL requres an MTU of i think 1400 in order for routers to work and D-Link ship routers out with 1500 set as the MTU *maximum transmission unit* and causes the DHCP request made by your router to your isp to fail. *dhcp is a way of setting up an IP address and other important settings to get internet working, this is done dynamicaly without the need for a predefined configuration*
-no? contact your ISP and/or check your pc for spyware!
All settings appear ok?
-If you are using an adsl modem, not ethernet then this would tell us very little really, other than that its possible that its not the onboard modem its trying to dial from but the USB freebee you got from your ISP. disable it like above.

Ive typed alot, and at this point unsure exactly where I have gotten too so just ask questions ;)

Edited by morris, 06 June 2005 - 05:33 PM.

If you get the time check my links below:

http://www.turntablism.info - music forum
http://www.qwertyhosting.com - affordable, reliable and secure hosting
http://www.tikka-d.co.uk - information regarding reverse engineering and lots of external links

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users