Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN Game via Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have some games, that can be played over LAN (e.g. Pocket Tanks), but I would like to play it over internet with friends in other countries? What do I do?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

You can use a software called 'hamachi'.

All of you who are playing need the same software and same version.

Someone who is going to play (you or any other friend) should create a network, make sure that the others are connected to that network (when the network is created). When done go into the game, set up a LAN game, wait for the others to start the game and to connect (not to create) to a LAN game and you're done.

A download to hamachi should be found down here.
Hamachi Download

If you mention which game you want to play over LAN, I could help you better. :flowers:

Make sure that the game you are playing, don't have low ping, because if it have, it will kick all the players in the game who have high ping!

Hope that helps, any problems, just post :thumbsup:
Delta

Edited by Delta16, 23 February 2009 - 01:23 AM.

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

HI, thanks for the advice, I wanted to play POCKET TANKS (can be found on www.download.com). So what exactly does this software do? Create a sort of VPN?

#4 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

Yes, exactly, Hamachi is a VPN service that easily sets up in 10 minutes, and enables secure remote access to your business network, anywhere there's an Internet connection.

It works with your existing firewall, and requires no additional configuration. Hamachi is the first networking application to deliver an unprecedented level of direct peer-to-peer connectivity. It is simple, secure, and cost-effective.

I found this on google. Take a look. It should help you.

And Pocket Tanks was my favorite game in the past. :D

First of all, how to run hamachi
1. Download latest Hamachi version and install it.IT IS A PERFECTLY SAFE SOFTWARE.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp

2. Once you have installed Hamachi, you now have a hamachi account(not a server). You are now capable of joining or creating servers. You now have a Hamachi IP (something like 5.xx.xxx.xx)
3. Join any server.

UPDATE: List of all servers.
http://forums.blitwise.com/forums/sh...&postcount=188

4. Once you have joined the server/network, you should see a list of all other members on that server. Just because their name is there doesn't mean they are online. When someone is online, a green dot will appear before their name. You can only play with a person who is online. You do not have to ping him in order to play with him.
5. Once a person is online, you can chat with him and tell him to host a game to join your's (if you have hosted).
6. Once the other person has hosted, open Pocket Tanks and go to Lan Play. You will be able to see his game and join.

Troubleshooting:
1. If both the persons are behind a router, there is a high chance they may have the same IP. Pocket Tanks doesn't read your hamachi IP, so your IP will be the same as your friend's and you cannot see his game or he cant see your game. People using the same modem/router i.e. on a wireless network also experience the same problem. Changing your IP manually will solve the problem.
2.You need "ptloader.exe" and "pockettanks.exe" unblocked from a firewall for it to work. Plus just so everybody knows, If two players both host a game they won't be able to see the others game! One needs to host and the other waits at the main game lobby screen!

If none of this works(for people behind routers), you can play using IP2IP method but make sure that you use your hamachi IP's for connecting.

Edited by Delta16, 23 February 2009 - 09:08 AM.

#5 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

I have zero experience with VPN, is it safer then standard internet connection? If yes what makes it safer?

#6 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

On the hamachi site I found what makes hamachi safe.

All Hamachi communications are encrypted and authenticated with industry-standard algorithms and protocols. Nobody will be able to see the data transmitted between two Hamachi peers.

Not even us.

For more detailed information, please check the Security Architecture description.
Encryption

Encryption is a method that scrambles and unscrambles various pieces of information so that they can be sent securely from one location to another.

* In the case of LogMeIn Hamachi, a key exchange takes place between peers once each is authenticated by the Hamachi mediation server, and a tunnel has been established. This ensures that only the peers you designate can decrypt your data. Every message is also uniquely numbered to prevent replay attacks.

Authentication

Authentication ensures that the identities of everyone in your network, from the LogMeIn Hamachi servers to your peers, are verified.

* LogMeIn servers authenticate all peers using a RSA key-pair. To login, the client submits its Hamachi IP and uses its private key to sign the server's challenge. The server verifies the signature and this authenticates the client.
* Hamachi peers authenticate LogMeIn mediation servers using a RSA key-pair. When the client connects to the server, it announces which key it expects the server to have. If the server has the requested key, the login sequence commences.

Administration

Every LogMeIn Hamachi peer has administrative options to help maintain the security of their Hamachi networks.

* Password Protection
* Network Lock
* Membership Approval
* Member Eviction
* Member Ban
* Create Network Administrators

If you want more details about hamachi security, dont hesitate to tell me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users