Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with setting up wireless card on old Gateway

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iflewjetz

iflewjetz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

I have an old Gateway Solo with Windows 98se. I bought a Linksys WPC11 2.4GHZ Version 4 Wireless B Notebook Adapter. Thinking it would be an easy setup. I put in the disk and ran the setup. It went through the pages, asked for the SSID and at the end it said unable to load, not enough space. I checked the HD and it had under 4gb, so I cleaned some unused files and now have 4.3gb. I ran the disk again and here is the full message I got. "The WLAN monitor utility and drives for the WPC11 have already been installed. If you would like to uninstall these items, run the Uninstall program from the Wireless-B Notebook Adapter program group". I did this, deleted files and emptied the recycle bin. I ran the disk again and get the same message with no way to resolve it. I have searched for this on my and cannot find it anywhere. It is not there anymore, but somehow it is detecting it. I searched Linksys and it is not there also. Please help me. This is very frustrating. Thanks.

Tony

P.S. I dont have a way to log on to the internet to download anything. This Gateway does not have an ethernet connection. Is there some way to find this file and delete it??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hello iflewjetz and welcome to BleepingComputer.

You can try restoring the registry to a date before you attempted the install to remove that error. It may be a registry entry fooling the linksys program into thinking its already installed. It is important that you pick a date that says "Started" next to it but not the oldest date if that can be avoided. Picking the oldest date deletes all restore points in between.

Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To restore one of these previous copies:

Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, (or repeatedly press F8) and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu.

At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.

Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER. NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry

I found the manual for that adapter here. Please note: "Important for Windows 98SE, Me, and 2000 users: You must run
the Setup Wizard to install the software before installing the hardware." So don't install the card until you run the cd.

Edited by Leurgy, 23 February 2009 - 08:03 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 iflewjetz

iflewjetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Leurgy!! I am going to try that tomorrow morning. Great help on this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users