Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A simple Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

My suggestion is when a problem is solved, in the title moderators, admins..... should add [resolved] so people who want to help doesn't have to check all the problems.

That's my suggestion, Agree or Not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

Hi,

This is a good idea but to be able to implement this would be a struggle, obviously there are limited Admin & Moderators on BC, and there are a lot of threads which get resolved on a daily basis. They simply do not have the time to be able to go through and check all the post to see which have been resolved.

Now something along the lines of Bleeping Computer Tidiness could be a solution to this but i still don't know if this is pliable or something the guys/gals who run the site want to do.

Nice suggestion tho :thumbsup:

(Edit: Corrected smiley)

Edited by E-Mu, 23 February 2009 - 06:04 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

Have "Resolved" written on the last Post,but not Hard Closed.
If the Member who started the thread, hasn't posted for some time,why not mark "Resolved"?
If the originator of the thread,has a repeat of the same problem,in say 1 or 2 Days,
then "Resolved" is deleted and posting returns as normal. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 23 February 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Considering the number of posts each day, and the number of current threads that would have to be reviewed daily, this would be a major task for BC staff, especially if threads had to be "un-resolved"subsequently. Moreover, it is often unclear whether a thread has in fact been resolved, simply because few posters reply to let us know if the problem is solved and not every member of the staff has the expertise in each area to make a sound decision.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

The originator of the topic should be able to mark it as solved. That would help.

And as @DSTM wrote, if the originator does not write or do nothing for say 1 week, it could be marked as "On hold" or "Obsolete" or something.

Finally, some topics will not get solved by nature, like TIPS and TRICS, and some topics will not get solved, but in the meantime the originator find a workaround so he/she does not need it to be solved anymore.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

1/2 the time the OP never posts back to say the issue is solved
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

Without input from the topic creator, we as staff will not be so pretentious as to say any topic is 'resolved'. With that in mind, even if we were to get members responding to give us the feedback needed. It would be a logistical nightmare to manage the 'resolved' topic list. We have far too many posts per day forum wide, compared to the number of staff for this forum to undertake such an endeavor. As well as keep up with the current duties facing each staff member on a daily basis.

All the while keeping in mind that the entire staff of Bleeping Computer is comprised of volunteers.

In a perfect world we would be able to implement such actions as suggested, the reality is what I just posted.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

I work on another forum where the "resolved" issue is a requirement. I can tell you that it's a royal pain to do this - even if it's restricted only to the original poster and the staff.

Also, I search frequently for solutions on the web. And checking those results marked as Solved/Resolved/etc shows no greater help than those that aren't marked as such.

Edited by usasma, 24 February 2009 - 09:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hopelessgirl

hopelessgirl

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

I agree with E-Mu it will be a struglle to everyone who works
Posted Image

#10 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

To all who posted, know i realized what a big problem would that be. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#11 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

To all who posted, know i realized what a big problem would that be. :thumbsup: :flowers:

I think it was a good suggestion, but as posted above it's a bit impractical at current times.

Keep em coming tho :trumpet:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#12 lmbee59

lmbee59

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

thank goodness I didn't have to create a new thread as I was going to suggest that as well.

I've seen this 'resolved' added to the thread in another forum (Sansa Clip) and sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

too bad that it could have worked, but like the mods/admins said, there's a lot of factors that play into not being able to implement it.

HOWEVER, is there a way to have a little check box to tick 'resolved' after that's all said and done...is there a writing program to implement that? just wondering.

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Staff have far too many posts to review.
I know of none that can read all - don't even try.

So the check box doesn't work either as the member may never come back either.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users