Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Start Menu File Associations Missing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

I have a unusual problem with XP Home SP3. When I click on any program in the Start menu or a program shortcut on the desktop, nothing happens - only the "Open with" dialog box pops up.

This all started when a simple .exe program I had been using somehow got deleted. The icon was still in the windows startup menu, but when I clicked on the icon, I couldn't find/open the .exe file. I re-installed the program, then right-clicked the icon properties to re-associate it with that program.

This worked, but unfortunately ALL of my program icons were now associated with that program. I deleted the program's exe file, and now when I click on any program's start menu icon, the "Open with" box comes up. I tried rolling things back with System Restore, but that had no effect on the problem.

Doe anyone know how to fix this?

-Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

I found a fix for this problem via another forum. Here's the info - I hope it helps someone else...
(derived from the instructions on: http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php):

Go to My Computer, then Local Disk (C:). In the top left menu:
*Click on Tools.
*Click on Folder Options.
*Click on the File Types tab.
*Scroll down to where EXE would be in the alphabetical order and make certain EXE is NOT there (if it is, edit it by changing the association shown there to Application).
*Select the NEW button.
*Type in EXE for the extension and select the Advanced button.
*From the list, select Application.
*Look for a Restore button. If it's available, click on that (the Restore button only shows up when there is a problem on the system).

If this procedure doesn't fix your machine, there are other fixes shown on the link above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users