Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS NT server & temp file takeover in Excel

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 vestak

vestak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

We're using a WINDOWS NT server and Excel files that are linked only by firing macros to pull in data from one file to another. All Excel files are located in one shared network folder. With permissions set on the folder to prevent accidental deleting of the files, there seems to be a problem with the temp file creation. The temp file 'boots out' the original file (error message says cannot save the original file). Coding in the Excel file prevents Save As anyway to keep the macro formulas correct. Is this a glitch in WINDOWS NT or in Excel? I can set the permissions to allow all users to have 'write' privileges, and this seems to solve the problem of the ghost temp files taking over. But then I run the risk that a user will delete a file. Is this really an "all or nothing" choice or is there something else I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users