Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo and Battlestar Galactica

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hello, BleepingComputer!

I'm new to the site, and not entirely clear what you do here, but you do look like some legit mo'fo's genuinely trying to help.

I thought I'd give you a humorous Trojan anecdote about what I've been up against the last 24 hours. I've been using your website for help.

For some reason, the SciFi Network hasn't decided to put up the latest full episode of Battlestar Galactica. It aired last Friday night. Usually they are up within 24 hours. As of last night, still no BSG on the scifi channel's website, or Hulu, or anyplace else.

So like an idiot, I did a Google search for BSG full episodes. I found an entry right up at the top which had a streaming video window purported to show the whole episode. The only catch was you had to download the latest Divx 'web player'.

I don't know whether there is such a thing as a Divx web player or not. But I do know that by doing that download, I infected my machine with Vundo, Smitfraud, and now a few others. Immediately after install, my browser started redirecting me to other search sites, which I knew was a bad sign.

I ran a Spybot scan, which found a few instances of Vundo. Just like Spybot, it said it fixed them, but I knew it hadn't. So I visited your website, and spent last night in safe mode running Malware Bytes, ComboFix, SmitFraudFix, and Spybot.

Thought I had it clear. But as of a few minutes ago, my Firefox started redirecting me again. I downloaded HijackThis and tried to run it -- didn't see anything on the log out of the ordinary. I've been trying to get back into XP safe mode, but now my machine hangs up no matter what.

Thankfully, I have the Windows 7 Beta installed on another partition. I'm using it to write this post. I'll keep fighting with it -- will probably lose, and have to format the drive. Installing XP from the original CD and then running ALL the SP updates, and then the driver updates, and reinstalling software --- it's probably going to take me a week.

So the lesson here is: don't go to any sites pretending to stream Battlestar Galactica. I appreciate the efforts of all the people who work on ComboFix, MalwareBytes, etc. I just wish they had worked in my case.

Farewell BleepingComputer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users