Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending a Partition after dual Booting!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

I have my PC dual Booted (Vista Pre-installed) with XP and Vista. Vista is my C drive and XP is my D drive. I used Vista's built in Disk Management to shrink the volume in D, which freed up some unallocated space. I want to take that Unallocated space and use it to increase my Vista partition C drive. I wasn't able to extend the volume in the C drive Using the Vista D.Mamagement as it is greyed out. I tried to install Norton's Partition Magic, but got an error 117 with something saying can't recognize disk drives(couldn't install). I tried using Parted Magic, but had the same problem. It will allow me to extend the D drive volume by using the unallocated space, but not the C Drive. I know there must be a way to do this. Please help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noah Antrim Lottick

Noah Antrim Lottick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

I am sorry if this does not make sense, but here goes:

I think the partition called "D" is inside an extended partition. (Starting with Win 98, I think, you cannot have two primary partitions that are bootable with Windows installs on them, regardless of the boot manager used. That is why I say this.) Now that you have shrunk D:, move it towards the end of the disk (or towards the end of the extended partition), then move the extended partition's beginning point away from the Vista partition. Now you should be able to expand the Vista partition into the empty space you just created.

If this is not correct, or you are still having problems, I recommend GParted, found on the System Rescue CD. Burn the ISO, set the BIOS boot order to boot from CD first, and hit enter. You can try parted, but it is command line (I'm comfortable with the command line and even I had problems). Instead, type "wizard" or "startx" to get to the GUI version, GParted. It will be one of the icons at the lower left of the screen.

Partition Magic 8.01 is starting to show its age. GParted is free software, and is more likely to continue to be updated for new filesystems, any bugs found in new BIOS chips, and whatnot.

Please back up any important files first, including *.wpa (google "XP Activation"), and let us know how it turns out!

Edited by Noah Antrim Lottick, 22 February 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

FWIW:

There seems to be a question whether Partition Magic is compatible with Vista...perhaps the newest version is, but I would be dubious of older versions. You can Google for info on this.

I don't know where you have this unallocated space...but if it's at the end of the C: partition and beginning of the D: partition...then it seems that the Vista utility should work. If not, then you need to move partitions or the unallocated space, which I don't think that the Vista utility will do.

I've already raised the question of whether this is possible using Partition Magic with Vista or Vista partitions.

Louis

#4 Noah Antrim Lottick

Noah Antrim Lottick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

I can confirm that PM 8.01 will FAIL, even when run as Admin, under XP 64-bit Professional.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for your quick replies. I have no data on my Vista or XP drives, just trying to get practice and find what tools work best. The Vista built in Disk Management tool will not increase the volume of the C drive. I don't really understand what you mean by moving partitions or unallocated space(how do I do this). I think the issue is that I can only increase size of the XP partition (D drive) as that is the one directly next to the unallocated space. My D drive is the closest to the unallocated space. Norton's Partition Magic will not work with Vista and also won't work in XP if you are dual booting (error 117). I tried G Parted, but had the same problem with not being able to merge unallocated space with C drive. Must be a way to do this?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

Well...my apologies for not reading and comprehending :thumbsup:. My previous post was based on the premise that C: contains XP and D: contains Vista.

You probably need to post in the Vista forum, since that seems to be the focus of your situation. The fact that you've tried to use Vista to change partition sizes...can be addressed there. Vista tools and how to manipulate them can be discussed there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/72/windows-vista/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users