Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Reinstall: System device issues...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

I did a reinstallation of Windows XP Pro on my main computer a few weeks ago. I would note that this is the first reinstallation of XP I have ever done. I thought I covered all of the bases (did a fair bit of studying beforehand), but I apparently I may have missed something.

I wiped and re-formatted the HDD's, reinstalled the SATA drivers and did a complete reinstall of XP. I updated the bios, video drivers, etc. Also made a separate 8Gb partition on my data drive for the swap file. Everthing has been working fine, but I noticed a few odd things this AM when I was perusing XP's "Device Manager".

There are several system devices listed which state: "No drivers are installed for this device." The services are as follows:

Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller
Direct Memory Access Controller
High Precision Event Timer
Motherboard Resources (listed 3 times)
Numeric data processor
Programmable interrupt controller
System Timer

I went through everything listed under Device Manager (even hidden devices - printeres and non-PnP devices), and the above are the only "problem" devices. It looks like I omitted something when installing the motherboard software/chipset, but I don't know what it is/was. I have not encountered any major errors yet, and I've been running it for 2+ weeks now, and it runs clean and fast. I do get IE-6 windows stating that webpages failed to load on an occasional basis, but not sure if this is related. FYI - My motherboard, system and bios info follows:

Mobo: Intel DP35DP
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...P35DP/index.htm
BIOS: DPP3510J.86A.0517.2009.0107.2203
(original version was DPP3510J.86A.0497.2008.1007.1913)
Proc: Intel Core2 Duo E6750/2.66GHz
Mem: 2x1Gb DDR2 800

Are these services "optional" (some sound important), or did I miss something :thumbsup: when reinstalling the chipset and drivers?

Thanks!

Mike T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

Are these the ones you loaded?

I always start with the chipset and build from there

Edited by DaChew, 22 February 2009 - 12:32 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

DaChew: Yes, those are the ones - mostly. The updated SATA drivers (Item 3) wouldn't work with the XP install, so I used the original ones that came with the Mobo. Also I didn't install the the audio drivers (Item 5), as I added a new soundcard. It's been a while... I know I used the updated BIOS (Item 1), and am fairly sure I installed Item's 2, 4 & 6. I didn't bother with the utilities and software applications, as I'm not a "high-end" user.

Mike T

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

Reload number 2
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users