Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes when booting up

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Troubled1

Troubled1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:49 PM

My OS is XP Home Edition SP2 and pc is about 3 years old. Lately, whenever I boot up, my pc freezes and I have to press the RESTART button to get it going. It takes about 3 or 4 attempts before it comes good. There does not appear to be a pattern as to what stage of the bootup it freezes and once it is up and running, there are no further problems (albeit once when I had to turn it off whilst in Outlook Express v 6.00 - Cont/Alt/Del would not work).

My browser is Internet Explorer v 6.0. Have had SP2 installed for a few months, without any apparent problems. Recently updated ZoneAlarm free, to version 5.5.094 and not sure but problem "may" have commenced around the same time??

Have a UPS unit which had been running on a flat battery for a very long time and have just replaced the unit with a new battery (was told that sometimes power supply may affect pc freezes??). But replacing battery has not helped.

Is this a common problem? Will it damage my pc if I keep using the RESTART button? Appreciate any feedback (including correct protocol re postings etc).

Cheers
Troubled1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

Hey, Troubled1:

You give me a lot of possibilities. We will stick with the easy ones first.

Can you log into safe mode with the computer, without it restarting?

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
* Restart the computer.
* As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
* Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
* Press the Enter key.

Since it is a free version of ZoneAlarm that you are using... and you seem to think your problems started around the same time... why don't you remove ZoneAlarm to see if that fixes your issue.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,
JC

#3 Troubled1

Troubled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:52 PM

Thanks JoshuaCat.

Unsuccessfully tried to start in SAFE mode... froze before I was able to arrow up to SAFE MODE option.

Just a thought .... have been on the verge of uninstalling ZAfree but have been avoiding it, as from memory?? it took quite some time to download/install. So before I actually uninstall it, would it be worth trying to disable it from startup and see how things go?

Coincidentally, whilst touring this site today, I came across the Startup Database link which describes how to go about this. Should I just follow the instructions and have a go?? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
Troubled1

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

Try to disable it first... use MSCONFIG to do so.. If that works, get rid of it. Post back to let us know..

#5 Troubled1

Troubled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:27 PM

Hmmm ... have heard/seen term MSCONFIG but do not understand it?? Guessing that it may stand for something like MicroSoft Configuration but otherwise draw a total blank.

Troubled1

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:40 AM

Hmmm ... have heard/seen term MSCONFIG but do not understand it?? Guessing that it may stand for something like MicroSoft Configuration but otherwise draw a total blank.

Troubled1

BINGO! You got it!

#7 Troubled1

Troubled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:03 AM

Ah-ha!! So how/why is it used? What did Uraiser mean by "disable ZAfree by using MSCONFIG?"

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:23 AM

msconfig is a command, you type it in the box after clicking Start>Run in windows XP. I'm assumimg you have XP?
The command invokes the 'system configuration utility' which lets you control the way in which windows boots and what programs are allowed to startup at boot time. There will be an entry for ZoneAlarm which you need to untick, that will prevent ZA from starting automatically.
When you finish with the diagnosis you can go back into msconfig and replace the tick to return to normal.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

Unsuccessfully tried to start in SAFE mode... froze before I was able to arrow up to SAFE MODE option.

Based on that I don't think ZA will be part of your freezing problem as you are not even close to beginning to load it at the point where your freezing occurs. Only some very basic commands are loaded into memory at that point.

Try downloading and running 16bit_fix.exe. This will replace the three basic files that are loaded at the point the above freezing occurs and eliminate that as a possible cause for your problem.

Go to Start>Control Panel> and double click the System icon. Do you see any yellow or red marks when that opens?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

Troubled1:
The reason I had you go into safe mode, was so that your computer would start -up with only the minimal programs that it needs. If this didn't work then there must be something more going on then a bad installation of Zone Alarm, as Leurgy suggests. You could still uninstall Zone Alarm from your add/remove programs, or run the uninstall program from start, programs, Zone Alarm folder. Since it is a free download, you can always put it back on later.
JC

#11 Troubled1

Troubled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:47 PM

I'm assumimg you have XP?

Yes SP2, as per info in my first post.
Thanks for your reply ... I have learnt something new already!!

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:07 AM

as per info in my first post.

Sorry, missed that somehow.

You made a comment earlier about hearing faulty power supplies could be linked to freezing and then said you had replaced the battery in your UPS. Just to clarify the power supply which could be the cause of freezing is the PSU inside your PC. These can be replaced relatively easily provided you know the Wattage required (and get a bigger one) and the connector type.

Your PC is freezing so early in the boot process I think its a hardware problem. you can get free tools to check your memory and monitor your system:

There is a free RAM diagnostic called Memtest86 which you can download from here:
Memtest86
Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight and then examine the error count.

Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#13 Troubled1

Troubled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

Hi there, have not been able to reply as have been away working and must leave again shortly.

But definitely still wanting to fix freezing problem. Went into MSCONFIG and unticked ZA thought it had fixed prob but then began to 'sometimes' boot up properly.
But noticed that each time the System Config Utility dialogue box opened when eventually arriving at desktop, ZA was alway ticked despite my unticking it?? and on the General Tab, all the Normal Startup options are unticked, and all the options under Selective Startup are ticked (is this the whole idea of starting up in MSCONFIG?? and therefore these settings are correct for what I have chosen?) Did a screen dump if this is as clear as mud!

When I get back, will try next suggestion but do not know whether I should try Leurgy's suggestion and run 16bit fix exe or follow your suggestion re Memtest68??

Also must ask Leury about the red/yellow marks in Systems?? What tab should I be looking under and what sort of red/yellow (assuming he doesn't mean WindowXP logo?) And whether I should check for the marks before or after (if) I run 16bitfix.

Re my USP ... it is a separate unit, outside my pc. New battery sat around for (yikes!) probably over 12 months before I installed it!!

Many thanks.

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

do not know whether I should try Leurgy's suggestion and run 16bit fix exe or follow your suggestion re Memtest68?

They are not exclusive alternatives, they won't interfere with one another.

Note:
UPS = Uninteruptible Power Supply - seperate power device.
PSU = Power Supply Unit - part of your PC.

Red or yellow marks:
Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.
Do any of them have a red or yellow symbol after the name?
If so look at the properties of the device indicated (by double clicking on it).

Tell us the name of the device and the message in 'Device Status' when you double-click it.

Edited by Rimmer, 11 June 2005 - 08:36 PM.

#15 Troubled1

Troubled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.
Do any of them have a red or yellow symbol after the name?

Negative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users