Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible problem with router (xBox live)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hippychick68

Hippychick68

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hi

Hoping someone can help me. I've been having problems with slow internet. I've been over to the 'Am I infected' thread and the kind person who helped me has suggested asking on this thread (see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/204878/very-slow-internet/ ) I was wondering whether it could have something to do with keep unplugging/plugging the router to play xBox live.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hippychick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Unique666

Unique666

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

I just read your other topic, and I have a few questions and suggestions.

I noticed you have Windows Defender, AVG, Avira Antivir, Spybot S&D, SUPER Antispyware free edition, and Malwarebytes' Anti-malware installed on your computer. While you can have more than one anti-spyware and anti-virus program installed on your computer, it's not good to have more than one running in the background at the same time. When you have more than one, they can bring your computer to a crawl by each one constantly fighting to scan files on your computer.

I would also like to check to see if your modem and router is xbox live compatible, and if there are any settings within the devices that might need to be changed. What type of modem and router do you have?

Finally, when did your Internet start becoming slow? Did you add any new hardware or software around the time that your problem started occurring?

#3 Hippychick68

Hippychick68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hi Unique666

Thanks for your reply.

It started about two weeks ago.

I only had Windows Defender and AVG at the time. When it started going really slow I downloaded the other anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

The only thing I can remember doing was joining xBox live around the time it started going slow.

Not being computer literate I thought it was the router but I meant modem, its a Motorola SB4200 SURFboard cable modem which we keep unplugging/plugging to use xBox live.

Do you think I would be better with a router?

Thanks again

Hippychick

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

I don't think adding a router will fix a modem problem.

If you have a problem with the modem while using other things online I suggest replacing the modem.

If you have no problem with other uses then I would suspect the XBox live site.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Cuessane

Cuessane

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

The only suggestion I have for now, til I see your answers to the questions below, would be to run a speedtest on your line, to see if the fault lies not with you, but with your Internet Service Provider. Try going to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what your connection speed looks like, then try calling your ISP and asking them what your connection speed should be. It is possible they have a bottleneck of some kind in their trunk lines, which can happen pretty quickly, depending on the population in your area. I know I had that problem for a while and it took multiple calls (and about 6 months) for them to fix their trunk lines and get the connection 'back up to speed', so to speak.

Just curious, how do you go about disconnecting/reconnecting the cable from the computer? Are either of them powered off before disconnecting the cable? If you can, tell me your step-by-step procedures for disconnecting and reconnecting the cables.

Also, I saw you said "The only thing I can remember doing was joining xBox live around the time it started going slow." Does this mean that is also when you started switching the cables back and forth between your PC and the Xbox? And have you noticed any problems connecting to Xbox live, or with the speed while connected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users