Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB keeps failing... cause?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fail

fail

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:19 AM

hey folks,

just found this forum via google...

my problem is that the USB keeps failing. i noticed this yesterday, as my keyboard's CAPS LOCK and SCOLL LOCK lights flashed, much like during boot when USB is initalized. i then noticed my UPS etc. was disconnected as well (they're all connected via USB).

i rebooted, which fixed the problem. i thought it was maybe the UPS, so i tested the UPS (self-test + turned power off) and it worked fine. i have now noticed that it smells like 'electronics', like the smell you have when you buy something new, the smell that goes away after a few days. it appears to be coming from the UPS; i have to mention the UPS was in use since about a year, but it was quite a long time since it last worked under an AC power failure, so the smell may be due to that.

anyway, the USB stuff now happened AGAIN, but with my keyboard and mouse (both usb) not coming back to function. i am using two active usb hubs for the various things connected to usb; and appliances connected to either of the hubs were not working anymore. i then simply disconnected and reconnected the USB hubs, and it works again now.

any clue what the reason for this could be? could it be that my mainboard / usb chipset is failing? everything looks normal, exept for this USB failure now happening for the second time...

thanks a lot for any tips, im really concerned. :thumbsup:

PS: my computer is clean on the inside, i clean it with a pressurized air especially made for the purpose. the temperatures are fine. my computer is now about 5 years old and basically running 24/7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:33 AM

Hi fail

It could be a power issue - you could be overloading the USB chipset on the motherboard.
Do the external hubs have their own power or are they powered from the motherboard? If they are relying on the power from the motherboard then try a self powered USB hub.
Try pluging your mouse and keyboard directly into the USB sockets on the motherboard, leave everything else disconnected and see how that goes. If all is ok then gradually connect up other devices until you get the problem again.
Steve

#3 fail

fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

hey SLIX,

It could be a power issue - you could be overloading the USB chipset on the motherboard.
Do the external hubs have their own power or are they powered from the motherboard? If they are relying on the power from the motherboard then try a self powered USB hub.

yeah, they all have external power - also, i didnt change anything in the configuration since months, and the problem has never occured before.

Try pluging your mouse and keyboard directly into the USB sockets on the motherboard, leave everything else disconnected and see how that goes. If all is ok then gradually connect up other devices until you get the problem again.

thats a good idea, i'll try that... thanks a lot!

#4 fail

fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

ok, it happens with just the mouse and keyboard plugged in, too...
this time, i also had my speakers turned on, and at the exact same moment the USB was failing, i heard a really loud CHHHRBBBBBRRRRRRRWZZZZZZZZ! noise over the speakers - as if you were fiddling with the cables / plugging them in and out while the system is turned on.

any idea what this could be? im really guessing a failing mainboard or failing power supply now.

i couldnt find ANYTHING weird on the mainboard when opening the pc... no bulged capacitors, no burns, etc.

any idea how i can locate the problem now, or what that could be?

again, thanks a lot... sh&#*$t... :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

It sounds like you have a short. Are these USB port the mounted one on the motherboard? Not the ports from the front of the case which plug into the motherboard via the USB header on the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 fail

fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

It sounds like you have a short. Are these USB port the mounted one on the motherboard? Not the ports from the front of the case which plug into the motherboard via the USB header on the motherboard.

thanks for your quick response, dc3!

well, i had them both in use... but my front ones that i use go from the back of the case to the front, it's a bit odd indeed, but they just use the ports that come out the back of the case. it works much like a usb hub. do you think it may make a difference to disconnect the front ones?

do you also know how i could PROVOKE the error, maybe? it happens so randomly... sometimes after ten minutes, then after three hours... hmm...

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Try unplugging the front ports and see if this stops the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 fail

fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

Try unplugging the front ports and see if this stops the problem.

alright... will do that.
i'll get back to this later, as i really NEED to finish some writing on my laptop now, it needs to be done by tomorrow...

i greatly appreciate this quick and awesome help though, again, THANKS! :thumbsup:

ps: do you think e.g. a mouse or a keyboard that usually works fine can cause the problem as well? i'll then try and find an old PS/2 mouse and keyboard... not that its maybe the mouse causing a short circuit?
im not sure though, i can hear it via the SPEAKERS as well when it happens, and i'm using a PCI card, not the onboard audio... so its somehow going across the whole mainboard, i guess.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

Try unplugging it and see what happens and we will take it from there.

#10 fail

fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

ok, i am only using the back usbs now, with nothing but my mouse and keyboard directly connected to it - i also removed the front usb stuff.
i looked into the bios; there is only an option to enable all USB or none, so i couldnt switch the just the back usb on while switching the other (the one on the board) off, but nothing is connected to it anyway.

now i'll just wait and see what happens... can take hours or at worst days until it happens again, if it does. i will post updates.

#11 fail

fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

ok, so the problem has not reoccured so far - but i've only been running the PC for 20 hours now, it may or may not still happen.

BUT, what is very odd: my CPUs temperature DECREASED by about TEN degrees celcius since i disconnected the front USBS and stuff!
it used to be ~50 degrees C (as its very warm in my room, like, 22 degrees C) and it now has 41 degrees C while my room has the same temperature as usual?!

weird thing is... my cpu always had this temperature, since MONTHS, and the USB problem only occured 3 days ago.

can ANYBODY make sense out of this? thanks a big, big lot! :thumbsup:

#12 Ray Hower

Ray Hower

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

hello, i am bumpig this old thread because i too ran into this problem, and found no justifying cause as its a brand new 3500$ computer with parts i personaly have picked and put together and everything tests fine. it turns out during my build process i most likley pinched the usb cable and it caused a short. this is what i believe happend to the both of us, i do not know if this users still around but for who ever googles this problem, i hope this thread becomes a stapple.

my problem accured with brand new gear, and brand new lineup, socket 2011 3930k cpu, 32gb of ddr3 2300 ram. top of the line stuff. x79 platform with windows 7 64 bit, the problem caused every usb port to act up and almost always in a given day cause both the mouse and keyboard and headset to turn off. the headset problem was almost imediate, i believe that was cause of the intermited connection since audio isn't playing 100% since the boot of windows. the mouse took awhile because the mouse had to fall asleep and the base had to fall asleep, and would never be able to wake up once down, the keyboard is the same,. it would wait for it to dimm its lights which most likley puts it to sleep. i do not know if a none gaming keyboard would do this, might even be more problamatic with a normal keyboard. removing the cables like the member who made this thread has appeared to solve the problem. i'll probobly end up running new usb wire's with new headers off of my usb hub. which might take some seriouse construction, probobly not doable by most.

Edited by Ray Hower, 21 April 2012 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users