Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Guard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:40 PM

Firefox popped up with this Error Guard window and suggested I download it to see what errors my computer had. I got it. It's running as I type this.

Severe System Threats Detected: 3200+ (the number is flying higher)

It's scanning: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Code Store Database...

Summary:

2 Registry Check
3360 Exhaustive Registry Check (this number is flying higher too)

Everything else has a '0' in the front of it.

Progress is moving along but with all it's doing, it's 4 bars done.

Any input?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

Before doing anything, I would do a Google search on it for about three pages; if you do this, you will find not many people like it, some say that it will delete needed programs from your hard drive. I think that after it scans your computer, you will be asked to PAY to remove it. The fact that it apppeared as a pop-up window should have been enough to make you think twice before clicking on it.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

John,

You are right. But the fact that it came up through FF, I thought maybe it was trustworthy. After it found like 6000 errors, it wanted payment to fix them. I immediately deleted it totally off of my system. I glanced at the locations of the supposed errors it found. Most of it was just nonsense to begin with.
Thanks for your input. I wish I had thought harder before posting.
P.S. It wasn't a popup window, per se, or you're right. I'd have just closed it.
~TA~

Edited by TexasAngel67, 04 June 2005 - 11:06 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

Be sure to run your anti-spyware applications, since it may have left a friend on your hard drive.
This just goes to show everyone that doing a little research before downloading or using any application can save them a lot of grief later.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

Also, this goes to show you that FF's built-in pop up blocker isn't as 100% as some claim. Cheers to Google Toolbar in IE, which blocks 100% of everything bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users