Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp is slow to boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Binante

Mr Binante

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:12 PM

I can't figure out why startup and shutdown is so slow. My computer has 512 MB ram. I run Ad-aware plus (the paid version) on a regular basis, I use diskeeper for disk defragmenting, and Registry Mechanic 4.0 to clean out my registry. I'm also protected by Norton AntiVirus 2005, Zone Alarm Pro and whatever meager FireWall protection RoadRunner offers, along with PcPitstop Optimize and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta.

Sometimes when I shut down I get a "Windows Media Sink Window is not responding and needs to be shut down"

Please help me in any way you can.

Thank you in advance,
Mr Binante

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

Writer File Sink Object

The writer file sink object is used when writing Windows Media output to a file.

The writer file sink object is created by the function WMCreateWriterFileSink, which sets a pointer to an IWMWriterFileSink interface. The other interfaces of the writer file sink object can be obtained by calling the QueryInterface method.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....esinkobject.asp

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

Slow boots and logouts can be caused by having too many applications launching on start up. If you have Spybot Search and Destroy, go to Tools and look for "system start up" which will list everything the computer has to do during boot.
You can export this list as a .txt file, print it, and compare the list to BC's Startup Database, which will indicate whether you need the program to launch at boot or not. Many applications have quick launches, for example; these make opening them very fast, but the other side of the coin is that each takes some boot time, as well as use slight computer resources just to run.
You can also use this same Spybot tool to kill applications you do not want running at start up.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:41 PM

Start>>Run>>type msconfig>>click startup>>uncheck alot of those programs you dont absolutely have to have running.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

Slow boots and logouts can be caused by having too many applications launching on start up. If you have Spybot Search and Destroy, go to Tools and look for "system start up" which will list everything the computer has to do during boot.
You can export this list as a .txt file, print it, and compare the list to BC's Startup Database, which will indicate whether you need the program to launch at boot or not. Many applications have quick launches, for example; these make opening them very fast, but the other side of the coin is that each takes some boot time, as well as use slight computer resources just to run.
You can also use this same Spybot tool to kill applications you do not want running at start up.

Regards,
John

Bleeping Computer's Startup Database
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users