Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

e-mail accounts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:45 PM

i wasn't sure where to put this question, but since all the comments on g-mail were here, i figured this would be a good place for it...

when i got my puter, and decided to go with cable 'net, i had some great help setting everything up, dl'ing the programs i needed/wanted, putting me online, etc...unfortunately, he has since moved back home...

he told me to use the comcast mail account because then i would be using "internet" space, and not taking up any memory space on my puter..which i understand totally...

my question is THIS...

since my e-mail stays "out there" and is never dl'ed to my puter (unless i am sent pictures i REALLY want, in which case i dl them to my spare hard drive..), if i get one of those e-mails carrying a virus...will it be ABLE to get into my puter? i realize it will have access to my address book, and therefore forewarded to anyone listed there...but will it actually be able to infect MY puter??? and if so...how?

thanx for humoring me, guys...

damgud :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

if you get one of them email with a virus and dont open it then no you would not have to worry wbout that. Not if the email did have amd you opend it then yes it will get into your pc! Thats what av programs are for. But they dont always pick up stuff!

#3 piroz

piroz

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

:thumbsup: i have comcast too they offer you with no protection when it comes to email so i use yahoo they now scan for virus's when someone send an attachment to you its better than nothing or you could buy or download virus protection and ad-aware which i use a good program for when you are surfing these guys are the experts at this site .so any advice they give u take it they helped me with my pc works great now see ya

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:59 AM

Almost all Email viruses arrive as attachments. As long as you neither open nor download those, your computer will not be infected. In addition, you should change your Email settings to only read Emails as plain text.
Be aware that some Windows, and some MS applications are vulnerable to malicious JPEGS (the common form for pictures); be sure to read the thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2806/ms04-028-isc-reports-proof-of-concept-rumors/

Cheers,
John

Ps there is an excellent pinned article on best security practices that elaborates on my comments:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/841/best-practices-pc-worlds-avoid-viruses-scams/

Edited by jgweed, 19 September 2004 - 12:03 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users