Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install/uninstall Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neelsc

Neelsc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

Not sure whether this is the correct place to post this problem, but I'll plod on anyway.

I had windows Live Messngr (2009) installed and everything was running fine. Then I was asked to upgrade to the newest version and everything went kaput. The update would not install and I lost messenger entirely. I was told that the older version of messenger could not be removed. Contacting support resulted in loads of options to try, none of which was very clear to follow. Tried to remove Windows Live Essentials via the 'Add/remove' option on my pc but it just won't budge! (That's the only way I can describe it). I was running Windows XP SP3 and was advised to uninstall SPŁ, which I did only to add a host of other "troubles". I don't use messenger an awful lot per se, but I do like its easy access to my hotmail a/c. Am actually fed up with the whole Windows Live thing, but need lots of help to know just what to do now?

All help/comments/thoughts would be much appreciated. Any instructions...step by step please if possible!

Thanks in advance....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Try repairing Windows Live, Post if it works or not.

1. In the notification area of the taskbar, click the Messenger icon, and then click Exit. (only if windows live is opened)
2. On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
4. Under Currently installed programs, click Windows Live Messenger, and then click Change.
5. Click Repair.

~Delta

#3 Neelsc

Neelsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for replying to my query. Actually I did not need to folow your instructions as I solved the problem myself yesterday evening. I kept getting the message that:quote "The older version of Messenger cannot be removed", and though there had been no problem previously in upgrading this application umpteen times, I eventually realised that I still had messenger 7.5 installed(many, many moons ago). Anyway I decided to remove this and once removed, BINGO, no further problem installing the new live Messenger.

This was a very hit-and-miss sort of thing, but it gave the required result!

Thanks for your help......BTW, I had tried what you said, previously, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, I just could not remove/repair Windows Live in the way you mentioned. My computer would not let me do it!

Neela.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users