Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

noisy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 easybass

easybass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

I have a windows 98 IBM computer, AMD-K6™3D processor, 64 MB RAM, IE6 SETUP. I maintain it with Ccleaner, Diskeeper Lite, Spybot, AVG free, Spyware Blaster, and Zone Alarm free. When it is running, it makes a constant noise - hard to describe, doesn't sound to me like a fan - it's an electrical whine/whrr/hum. Is there a way to stop this noise?

Also, I bought this computer new ten years ago. I use it for surfing, typing, and email - no music or movies. It is on at least five hours a day. It works fine except sometimes, after being on for several hours, it will hang up or get sluggish, and I have to restart it. Is it possible to know how long my old computer will keep going? Will it suddenly, without warning, die one day? If so, what might be the specific cause?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:37 AM

yea it can die all a sudden but i think it shoudent
you may get things like sudden restarts or computer shuting down all a sudden or hard drive getting files damaged
and it be most likly becasue of the hard driver or psu or over heating so may be good idea to clean the dust inside out with canned air

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

You'd have to describe the location and sound of the noise better for us to tell.
The best advice is to backup your stuff now, just in case it does die on you.

Beyond that, maybe you've got a friend who knows a bit about computers who can take a quick look at it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users