Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN 98se no longer recognizes slave, CD, or DVD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

After installing AVAST the OS fails to recognize my SLAVE HD, my CD, or my DVD.
Setup BIOS lists everything as it should.
Once Windows loads and I type in my password a message appears (TO FINISH SETTING UP YOUR HARDWARE YOU MUST RESTART)
I restart and the message appears again. So I cancel and am able to work with the C drive but the DEVICE MANAGER lists the CD, DVD, and Both GENERIC IDE DISKs with red X's and both PRIMARY and SECONDARY IDE Controllers with yellow examination's. Checking DRIVERS and RESOURCES everything is OK with no conflicts. PERFORMANCE TAG reveals DRIVE C is using MS-DOS compatibality mode file system.
EXPLORER lists FLOPPY and C DRIVE but no SLAVE, CD, or DVD.
Both HDs run WIN98se
Booting to SLAVE results in EXPLORER listing everything OK except the MASTER is listed twice as both D and E DRIVES.
I've tried every configuration of ribbon cable including two MASTERS on separate cables with the same result.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance for your advice.
Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:38 AM

try safe mode and turn AVAST off in msconfig or uninstall AVAST

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

try safe mode and turn AVAST off in msconfig or uninstall AVAST

Well the CD or DVD won't show in Safe Mode either. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the quick response guys,

This is what I've tried so far:

1- Safe Mode no help
2- Ran RegCure which found only 4 problems and corrected them
3- Disabled every AP in START-UP (including AVAST) except SYSTRAY and EXPLORER
4- Disconnected machine from 110 ac and replaced the C-MOS BATTERY
5- Disconnected CD, DVD, SLAVE DRIVE, and removed all cards from IDE slots except monitor card.
6- Re-Booted after each one of these actions with the same result. IE: C: DRIVE continues to need the MS-DOS compatibility mode file system to run.

This would seem to indicate that some type of WINDOWS compatibility mode file is missing or the IDE Controller has been corrupted.
The HELP FILE lists the following message but I have no idea what to look for, what to delete, or what to replace it with.

Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file.
You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.

Of course I know that I could simply re-install the WIN98se OS ( with all the headaches that would cause) but I would really prefer to attack the problem locally if possible so any ideas you guys might have will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

Looks like you need some help Vegassounder.

First off, your cdrom drives are not going to work in safe mode in Windows 98.
Its a feature of safe mode you know.

You can prove cdrom functionality by booting to a Windows 98SE cd and selecting cdrom support.
If the drives work at the DOS "basically" level then they function.

Uninstall Avast as you have appeared to have isolated the issue.
Although I cant imagine why it would be an issue.

If you need to, do a registry restore back to before you instaled Avast
I think 98 restore is 5 days.

System specs would be really helpful at this point.

Thx
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Well we aren't sure that Avast! is causing the problem. I had Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1282 installed for a few days and I could still read all my drives. :thumbsup:

Keith

#7 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Thanks again gentlemen,

In answer to your question about my system:

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.06.03.0518 (DirectX 6.1a)

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2 (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/23/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM3)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM4)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Monitor Default Monitor (1645699)
Monitor VL1919 [NoDB] (1645699)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! Value (CT4780) Sound Card

Storage
IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE02
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 76297 MB (71528 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network
Network Adapter IEEE 802.11g Wireless Card. (192.168.1.107)
Network Adapter PPP Adapter. (4.228.219.68)
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
Modem Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem

Peripherals
Printer Generic PostScript Printer
Printer hp officejet 4100 series fax
Printer hp officejet 4100 series
Printer HP OfficeJet
Printer HPGL Plotter
Printer Matrix
Printer PaintJet (Micrografx)
Printer PostScript (Micrografx)
Printer VideoShow
USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller
USB1 Controller NEC PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller NEC PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller NEC USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device hp officejet 4100 series
USB Device officejet 4100 (DOT4USB)
USB Device officejet 4100 (USBHUB)
USB Device officejet 4100 (USBPRINT)
USB Device USB Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

I agree that AVAST isn't the problem because when I change the boot order in BIOS to boot to the SLAVE Windows Explorer lists all drives including the CD and DVD. The only anomaly here is that the 80 gig Master is listed twice as both D: and E: with the CD as F: and the DVD as G:
In SYSTEM PROPERTIES the PERFORMANCE TAG shows the D: drive is using the MS-DOS compatibility mode file system (Whatever that is)
Otherwise, everything works as it should except, of course, the inability to run programs installed on the 80 gig master.

The HELP file indicates that my problem could be an AUTOEXEC or CONFIG.SYS issue.
As you can see here I tried limiting start up to SETVER.EXE only but to no avail.
Do you see anything in these files that doesn't look Kosher? And, if so, what should I delete and replace?

And EYESEE, how do I restore the registry to an earlier date. I wasn't aware that WIN 98 offered that option.

Name Size Path
autoexec.bat 110 C:\

SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

Name Size Path
config.sys 97 C:\

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE
REM:DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
REM:DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

Thanks again

Chuck

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
DirectX 4.06.03.0518 (DirectX 6.1a)

Well Chuck DirectX 6.1 is the default installation for Win98SE. Over the years I've run all versions 6.1, 7.0, 8.0, 8.1 and now 9.0c.

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Monitor Default Monitor (1645699)
Monitor VL1919 [NoDB] (1645699)

Well you run the exact same graphics card as I do. :thumbsup: I wonder why it show 2 monitors?

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 76297 MB (71528 MB free)

With a sytem like that you could run WinXP.

And EYESEE, how do I restore the registry to an earlier date. I wasn't aware that WIN 98 offered that option.

All Windows systems have a system restore option, some are better that others. Start your computer up while keeping the CTRL press until you see the DOS menu with Safe Mode as an option. Select Command Prompt Only then type in Scanreg /restore. Choose an d earlier date to restore too. Now by default Windows only stores 5 restore points but you can change this to has many as you want too. If you had 14 and you did a Scanreg /restore again it does show 14 its only 5 or 6. If you want to have more backups then edit c:\windows\Scanreg.ini and change MaxBackupCopies=5 to what
ever number you want.

Now these backups are created every new day that Win98SE starts up. These *.cab files can easily be opened with WinZip and you can extract System.dat and User.dat to any spare folder. These are kept in c:\windows\Sysbckup\*.cab files. Now both these files are Read Only and Hidden inside Windows. You need to select each file and click on Properties and remove the Hidden attribute else you won't see them in DOS. You can do this in DOS using the Attrib.exe but its quicker in Windows. Then you would startup to the command prompt and goto the folder where System.dat and User.dat are and copy them back to the Windows folder.

autoexec.bat

SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE
REM:DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
REM:DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

The Autoexec.bat is similar to mine but those just set the sound card so you can use them in DOS. I have an extra line in there that will delete all files in the Windows\Temp folder which are rubbish anyway. I don't have SETVER.EXE in my Config.sys but I do have HIMEM.SYS initialised. :flowers:

Keith

#9 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Keithuk,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Well you run the exact same graphics card as I do. I wonder why it show 2 monitors?

Last year I replaced my 17 inch CRT with a 20 inch Flat Panel LCD

My PC Circuit Board AUTO ROUTING and FILTER CAD Programs won't run on anything later than WIN98 and the UP-Graded versions cost moola $$$$

Regarding SYSTEM RESTORE: Is it limited to restoring an earlier version of the REGISTRY only or does it restore other CAB files as well?
The reason I ask is that I've already restored an earlier (2 weeks ago) version of my registry using the RESTORE OPTION within my RegCure application.
And that hasn't made any difference either.

Today, just to make sure the problem is confined to my 80 gig MASTER and not the MOTHER BOARD or BIOS, I installed a 10 gig HD from my old Pentium 1/130 kHZ machine and it works as it should.

If restoring SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT files to an earlier date doesn't help then I'm left with Re-Installing my WIN98 OS but heres the kicker.
Even though the BIOS recognizes everything and lists them in the proper order and I set the boot order to select the CD first, when I try to boot up to the WIN98 CD, the drive spins up but I'm not given the option to boot with WIN 98 CD help or anything. Just an error that it can't find an OS.

QUESTION: I'm assuming that if I first UN-INSTALL WIN98 this problem should go away giving me clean partitions to RE-INSTALL. But if I do this will all my APs and files be accessible after the Re-Install?

Waiting for your advice

Chuck

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

Regarding SYSTEM RESTORE: Is it limited to restoring an earlier version of the REGISTRY only or does it restore other CAB files as well?
The reason I ask is that I've already restored an earlier (2 weeks ago) version of my registry using the RESTORE OPTION within my RegCure application.
And that hasn't made any difference either.

Well Chuck a system restore only restores the files in selected cab date, it doesn rewrite any other cabs. So does RegCure have a 2 weeks restore limit?

Well you run the exact same graphics card as I do. I wonder why it show 2 monitors?

If restoring SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT files to an earlier date doesn't help then I'm left with Re-Installing my WIN98 OS but heres the kicker.

Well if this new monitor is working ok you can select the Default Monitor and click Remove/Delete it. Then hit the Refresh button to see if it finds it again.

That is a bad option to reinstall Win98SE, in my experience it can cause more problems than it fixes.

Keithuk,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Last year I replaced my 17 inch CRT with a 20 inch Flat Panel LCD

Even though the BIOS recognizes everything and lists them in the proper order and I set the boot order to select the CD first, when I try to boot up to the WIN98 CD, the drive spins up but I'm not given the option to boot with WIN 98 CD help or anything. Just an error that it can't find an OS.

QUESTION: I'm assuming that if I first UN-INSTALL WIN98 this problem should go away giving me clean partitions to RE-INSTALL. But if I do this will all my APs and files be accessible after the Re-Install?

Well the genuine Win98SE CD's are bootable (both of mine are but I never use this facility) is depends if your is genuine. It doesn't really matter if it isn't as that are way around installing Win98SE with a BootDisk. Download the Win98SE or WinME boot exe to your drive. Put a blank formated floppy in the drive and run the exe. Now the difference between Win98SE and WinME boot disks is the WinME has the updates Fdisk.exe. You can download the updated Fdisk of Bootdisk or Microsoft. Now when your computer starts up with the boot disk inserted and just check in your BIOS/CMOS to check the boot sequence starts with the floppy drive first. When it starts up you will be asked if you want CD Rom support I think you select the first option here. Once it starts up and you see the A:\ type in the drive letter of your CD Rom D: and enter. At the D: just type in Setup and that will start the installation process.

Now if you want to do a proper job you should really format the drive. If you have more than one partition on the drive and you want to combine them you would run Fdisk.exe to remove all partitions then setup a new Primary DOS Partition which will be C: After you have made the partition you will have to do a restart then at the A:\ type Format C: to format the drive. Now its always good to format a drive because it checks for any errors on the drive, bad sectors. After you have formatted the drive you can just go back to D:\ and type Setup to start the install procedure.

The other thing that you have to watch doing a fresh install is do you have all the drivers for your hardware e.g. graphics card, sound card, printer, scanner etc as you will need them once Windows is up and running. :thumbsup:

Keith

#11 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

Keithuk,

I apologize for not being very clear in describing my problem. I'll try again so please understand that I'm a hardware guy and pretty much brain-dead when it comes to software.

Well the genuine Win98SE CD's are bootable (both of mine are but I never use this facility) is depends if your is genuine.

I purchased and registered the OS with Microsoft in 1999 so it is genuine. Over the years I've successfully loaded it on 3 desktops plus my Laptop and when up-grading hardware like printers and scanners which require Windows drivers.

Last week, after down-loading AVAST, my SLAVE HD, CD, and DVD were no longer accessible. However, going into BIOS, which lists everything as OK, and changing the boot order so the system boots to the SLAVE results in everything working properly.

I've also removed AVAST, which is loaded on the MASTER HD, from start-up but the problem persists so I no longer believe AVAST is responsible.

At this point I am 99% certain that something in the MASTER HD WIN98 OS is either missing or corrupted. But I have no idea what to look for.

Download the Win98SE or WinME boot exe to your drive. Put a blank formated floppy in the drive and run the exe. Now the difference between Win98SE and WinME boot disks is the WinME has the updates Fdisk.exe. You can download the updated Fdisk of Bootdisk or Microsoft.

I have the start-up floppy but have no idea of how to use it to identify or correct this problem.

Now if you want to do a proper job you should really format the drive. If you have more than one partition on the drive and you want to combine them you would run Fdisk.exe to remove all partitions then setup a new Primary DOS Partition which will be C: After you have made the partition you will have to do a restart then at the A:\ type Format C: to format the drive. Now its always good to format a drive because it checks for any errors on the drive, bad sectors. After you have formatted the drive you can just go back to D:\ and type Setup to start the install procedure.

I know that I could do this and I do have all the software and drivers to put everything back to original configurations with one exception and it is a big one.

Over the past 10 years using my PRINTED CIRCUIT AUTO-ROUTING PROGRAM I've developed custom parts libraries for resistors, capacitors, integrated circuits, transistors, etc.etc.
The copper layers, gerber files, silkscreen, hole chart, and so forth can be saved and copied to floppys, CDs, Flash drives etc. but the parts libraries cannot.
So here I'm talking about 100s of hours work that would be lost. And most of these parts are not even listed in the PROGRAMS master library because they were developed after 1999 when I purchased the Program.

So this is why I need someone, who is much more familiar with these things than I am, to advise me as to how I can SELECTIVELY overwrite the portion of WIN98se OS to correct whatever is missing or corrupted.
And if that option is not possible, can I simply UN-INSTALL WIN98se and RE-INSTALL. And if I do this will my FILES and APPLICATIONS still be accessible as before?

And thank you Kieth for the time you've spent trying to help so far.

Chuck

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

I purchased and registered the OS with Microsoft in 1999 so it is genuine. Over the years I've successfully loaded it on 3 desktops plus my Laptop and when up-grading hardware like printers and scanners which require Windows drivers.

I have the start-up floppy but have no idea of how to use it to identify or correct this problem.

Well Chuck your CD should be bootable but the correct bootable floppy should do the same job. When it starts up you select to use the CD Rom drivers. At the A:\ to change to D: the CD Rom drive and type Setup to start the installation procedure.

Over the past 10 years using my PRINTED CIRCUIT AUTO-ROUTING PROGRAM I've developed custom parts libraries for resistors, capacitors, integrated circuits, transistors, etc.etc.
The copper layers, gerber files, silkscreen, hole chart, and so forth can be saved and copied to floppys, CDs, Flash drives etc. but the parts libraries cannot.
So here I'm talking about 100s of hours work that would be lost. And most of these parts are not even listed in the PROGRAMS master library because they were developed after 1999 when I purchased the Program.

So you don't loose all your previous work just burn them to a CD or copy them to a flash drive.

So this is why I need someone, who is much more familiar with these things than I am, to advise me as to how I can SELECTIVELY overwrite the portion of WIN98se OS to correct whatever is missing or corrupted.
And if that option is not possible, can I simply UN-INSTALL WIN98se and RE-INSTALL. And if I do this will my FILES and APPLICATIONS still be accessible as before?

You can't uninstall Win98SE unless you used a upgrade from Win95 to Win98. You will overwrite anything thats been written by the previous Win98SE by doing a format and a fresh install. You will have to install the app that gives you your circuit board. Do you have the original disk(s) or can you download it again?

The biggest problem with any Windows software is the regsitry. If all components are't registered then it won't work. You can't just copy the folders to a CD then copy them back after you install. You can copy the files you have created. :thumbsup:

Keith

#13 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

Greetings once again Keith,

Well Chuck your CD should be bootable but the correct bootable floppy should do the same job.

The CD is not the problem. For whatever reason, the system won't boot to the CD with the SUBJECT MASTER HD connected to the ribbon cable.
However, connecting ONLY the SLAVE HD to the ribbon cable allows the system to recognize the CD DRIVE and will boot to the WIN98 CD.
Reconnecting the MASTER and booting to the floppy gets me to the A:\ prompt but when trying to change to the D:\ I get an invalid error.

So you don't loose all your previous work just burn them to a CD or copy them to a flash drive.

I have triple back-ups of all my work on floppies and more recently on CDs.
But I can't back-up my PARTS LIBRARIES because they are PROGRAM RESIDENT FILES like the page format libraries in Microsoft Word.

You can't uninstall Win98SE unless you used a upgrade from Win95 to Win98. You will overwrite anything thats been written by the previous Win98SE by doing a format and a fresh install. You will have to install the app that gives you your circuit board. Do you have the original disk(s) or can you download it again?

My OS is full blown, not an up-grade so it looks like I'm pretty much screwed here. Maybe GOOGLE can find me a 3rd party AP designed to Un-Install my OS.

Again, I think my best option would be to simply overwrite the corrupted IDE Controller DRIVER files and I'm confident I could do that if I only knew what to look for. I would simply boot to the SLAVE and copy and paste those DRIVER files to the MASTER.

So Keith, do you have any idea what those DRIVER Files are called?

Chuck

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:52 AM

The CD is not the problem. For whatever reason, the system won't boot to the CD with the SUBJECT MASTER HD connected to the ribbon cable.
However, connecting ONLY the SLAVE HD to the ribbon cable allows the system to recognize the CD DRIVE and will boot to the WIN98 CD.
Reconnecting the MASTER and booting to the floppy gets me to the A:\ prompt but when trying to change to the D:\ I get an invalid error.

I'm not sure what you mean by Master and Slave. I know what they are but do you have two hard drives? I'm assuming your jumper switches are set correctly?

What is the make and model of your BIOS/CMOS?

Have you checked the settings for the drive(s) in there?

I have triple back-ups of all my work on floppies and more recently on CDs.
But I can't back-up my PARTS LIBRARIES because they are PROGRAM RESIDENT FILES like the page format libraries in Microsoft Word.

Well if you've backed up the files you've made then thats all you can do. If you can't find the source for your electronics software then you are stuffed again.

Again, I think my best option would be to simply overwrite the corrupted IDE Controller DRIVER files and I'm confident I could do that if I only knew what to look for. I would simply boot to the SLAVE and copy and paste those DRIVER files to the MASTER.

So Keith, do you have any idea what those DRIVER Files are called?

Well as I've said I've never had a problem finding the CD Rom in DOS because I have my own boot disk which I made 9 years ago when I moved up to Win98SE.

I don't think there are any drivers as such for the IDE controller I think these are found with the BIOS on startup. The BIOS is Basic Input Output System it checks that all the components are connected on startup e.g. floppy drive(s), master HDD, slave HDD if fitted, CD Rom(s), COM ports, Parallel ports, memory, USB enabled etc :thumbsup:

Keith

#15 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

Keith,

I'm not sure what you mean by Master and Slave. I know what they are but do you have two hard drives? I'm assuming your jumper switches are set correctly?

Western Digital 80gig MASTER HD, and Maxtor 20gig SLAVE HD with properly set jumpers.

What is the make and model of your BIOS/CMOS?

Motherboard Name Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2 (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/23/00)

Have you checked the settings for the drive(s) in there?

BIOS is not the problem. It lists all hardware in the proper order. When I configure the 20gig HD as the MASTER and the 80gig HD as the SLAVE the Windows Explorer recognizes everything. C:\=20gig, D:\=80gig, E:\=80gig, F:\=CD, G:\=DVD (only exception 80gig is listed twice)

Well if you've backed up the files you've made then thats all you can do. If you can't find the source for your electronics software then you are stuffed again.

No problem here. I own all the software so I could do a clean install but all the program resident PARTS LIBRARY'S I have created over the past 10 years would be lost.

I don't think there are any drivers as such for the IDE controller I think these are found with the BIOS on startup.

If that were the case then please explain why everything works properly when I BOOT to the 20gig HD. The problem must be confined to the WIN98 OS on the 80gig HD. There must be a corrupt file and if I only knew what it was called I could simply copy that file from the 20gig HD and paste (overwrite the corrupt file) to the 80gigHD.
Do you have any idea how I can go about identifying the name of the file or driver thats causing this problem?

Till Later
Thanks again
Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users