I got windows xp pro sp3
spybot search and destroy
everytime I would open ie7 and would go to google to search for something the first hits (search results) among others would provide what seem like a ligitimate and good website link but the actual website to the link was something related with "casinos" or with metasearch websites to other selling/ad websites or to phony antivirus/spyware websites.
1. the computer was cleaned up with the tools mentioned above but the problem remained.
2. I used http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/smitfraudfix.php as directed by other member who posted a very similar problem (if not the same) but the problem remained.
3. as per a different user on another website I decided to use combofix. the problem was resolved
this was the result of the clean up (file deletion) that combofix did for me.
combofix seem like a very solid and strong tool, (I had to restart my explore.exe to get my desktop back after combofix did its deed.. no biggy, though)
I'm not a combofix expert so I still suggest that if you're using the tool you read first about it and if needed consult with a trained combofix specialist if follow up is needed on your malware problem.
Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 February 2009 - 12:53 AM.
Fix link. ~ OB