Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP continous startup loop

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 HSpan

HSpan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Windows XP Professional will not complete start up. Turn computer on and manufacturer logo appears (Insignia), then Windows XP screen comes on like it's loading. Then the screen goes black and you can hear the CD drives and floppy drive click on like it's trying to read these drives (empty). Then the cycle begins again. When I choose Safe Mode the same situation happens. This happens in a continuous loop and will not fully load the OS. I am able to get into the BIOS system, but an unsure of where to go/do from there. Please help! Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 HSpan

HSpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

My computer is an Insignia D300. I do not have an XP disc at this time. Thank you for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

User manual, http://www.insignia-products.com/skins/ski...00UserGuide.pdf

According to page 18, you should have a Restore DVD.

Since you don't have a MS install CD that you could use, the restore CD seems to be your option for repair.

If you have your XP key written down/available...I would suggest borrowing someone's MS CD (same version as you have installed) and some repair efforts can be made.

Louis

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

First of all stop the loop and get the STOP or the error message:

Disable automatic restart, to do that:
  • During the rebooting process, repeatedly press the F8 key to enter Windows Advance Options Menu.
  • Use the up and down arrow keys to select Disable automatic restart on system failure and then press the Enter key.
  • Use up and down arrow keys to select the operating system to start (if more than one OS is installed).
  • Press the Enter key.
  • Windows should start.
Note down the error message and post it to your reply.

Also tell us if you have access to another computer to download and burn a Microsoft Recovery Console.

#6 HSpan

HSpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Great! Thanks so much. I followed your instructions and here is my error message:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of oF(not sure if something is missing here, edge of screen) 0x0000139 (0x000000000 0x000000000).

I do have access to another computer to download/burn a recovery disc.

Thank you!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

IME most often these errors are due to either malware, or a Windows Update that's not compatible with something on your system.
What happens, in brief, is that a program tries to launch and it's causes a security violation that causes one of the system processes involved with security to crash.

3 approaches (which one depends on what's causing the problem):
- scan for malware by slaving the drive to another computer.
- do a manual registry repair from outside of Windows to a point before the problems started to appear
- do a repair install of XP

Edited by usasma, 22 February 2009 - 10:11 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 HSpan

HSpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

John~
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure which option I should use. At this point the option that I know how to do is option 3 (after my brother mails me back my XP disc). This all occured when I was trying to "repair" an installation of Kodak EasyShare software to my computer. It finished the install and requested I restart my computer for the new settings to take effect, and here I am.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

I would advise scanning the system for malware first - although that will be difficult since it won't boot. You can either boot with the Ultimate Boot CD (free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) but you'll have to make sure that the anti-virus definitions are updated before burning it. Or, you can slave your hard drive to another system that's got a good antivirus on it and scan it from there.

The downside of both of these issues is that it won't clean your registry of references to malware. Most likely that won't be needed for this type of error - but you just can't be sure.

Beyond that, the repair install of XP is (IMO) the best way to go.
If you've got IE7 installed you'll have some reading and research to do (from this article for starters: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 )
Once IE7 is removed, then use this link to repair your Windows installation: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

It really depends how you want to go with it.

Try this first:
When you enter Windows Advance Options Menu by using F8 key at startup select the option: "Last known Good Configuration".

#11 HSpan

HSpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

It really depends how you want to go with it.

Try this first:
When you enter Windows Advance Options Menu by using F8 key at startup select the option: "Last known Good Configuration".

I've tried the last known config by using F8 and it just does the continuous loop again.

#12 HSpan

HSpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

I would advise scanning the system for malware first - although that will be difficult since it won't boot. You can either boot with the Ultimate Boot CD (free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) but you'll have to make sure that the anti-virus definitions are updated before burning it. Or, you can slave your hard drive to another system that's got a good antivirus on it and scan it from there.

The downside of both of these issues is that it won't clean your registry of references to malware. Most likely that won't be needed for this type of error - but you just can't be sure.

Beyond that, the repair install of XP is (IMO) the best way to go.
If you've got IE7 installed you'll have some reading and research to do (from this article for starters: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 )
Once IE7 is removed, then use this link to repair your Windows installation: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I do not know how to slave my hard drive to another system. I am willing to try the Ultimate Boot CD option, though I am not sure what to do once I've put the CD in! As you said I may just need to wait until my brother can send my XP CD. I have an XP CD here, but it's the very first version of Windows XP ever released; so I am not sure if I should be using that disc. I do appreciate your help on this issue.

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

You probably are not able to get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt if you have not tried it please try it to make sure.

If this is not possible the easiest way is to do the repair install.

However it is also possible to make a boot CD (erd50.iso) in order to boot into Windows and change the value under logon mentioned in MS article or do a system restore or uninstall the software you installed, etc. If you wanted to try this I'll tell you how to make that boot CD and how to make the registry change.

#14 HSpan

HSpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

Ok, I tried the Safe Mode with command prompt. And I got a big registry list and it sat on that screen for a minute and then it did the loop again. If you could assist me with the boot CD that would be great! I am willing to try anything to get this back up and running within my capabilities. Thank you Farbar!

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

Do you have Nero on the computer you are using right now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users