Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG detected rootkits, cannot update antivirus etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Squidlick

Squidlick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hi!

Thanks for letting me join your community!! Its been a great help in the past just browsing the forums but now I've had to register because I've gone and properly knackered my computer.

I'm running Windows XP Media Centre Edition SP3 and use Registry Mechanic and AVG Internet Security. My problems started when I noticed my internet links were getting re-directed to all sorts of ridiculous sites ("The Cow Survey" for one). Thinking I had a virus I then noticed I couldn't update my antivirus software or even run the check disk or defrag tools. Now I can't even access the internet, have boot up failures and sometimes get the error message "Registry editing had been disabled by your administrator" (possibly in reference to virus scans). AVG has also identified and cleaned some small trojans but some hidden files and drivers are still present under the rootkit heading. In summary I think my PC is royally f****d.

I understand I may need to get hold of Hijack This and Combifix but wanted to ask the experts first. Please explain things to me like I'm simple because I really don't know what i'm doing.

Please let me know if you need any more information and please please try and help me, I'm in my final stages of university and really could do without smashing my computer through a wall.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

:thumbsup: Rootkits are very deeply hidden and well placed. I'm only guessing but I think your computers security may have been tweaked a bit (by some hacker) the way you've described the problem you might have to jump to the last resort (complete reformat). I recommend you wait for a moderator/bc advisors advice.

#3 Squidlick

Squidlick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

OK, thanks Skydie. A reformat sounds a bit scary but it does kind of feel like I've lost control over the situation. Not good!

Can any moderaters help me?

I was wondering whether AVG could help remedy the situation seeing as its actually picked up on the rootkits? With the registry editing disabled I thought maybe it was unable to apply a fix - I forgot to specify that I was getting 6 or 7 error messages re the registry editing after scanning so there has obviously been several attempts at it (maybe via AVG?) AVG has also been throwing up error messages during the scan process - "avgwdsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." - but after clearing the message AVG seems to start a second scan automatically and completes with no issues.

Some other info - I had previously had problems accessing my C drive by double left clicking (could still open by right click > 'explore') but this was remedied with a program called "Flash disinfector". Hope this hasn't made things worse!

Anyways would love some advice before things get worse :thumbsup:

Cheerio!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users