Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless disconnection issue w/newer Dell Inspiron 1525

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BCEureka

BCEureka

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hello all,

I have a newer (less than 1 year old) Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop w/ windows vista that has recently (over the last month or so) began disconnecting its wireless connection after about a hour of use. I have a Cisco Linksys Wireless G broadband router that is used by two Inspiron laptops (a 600m [using XP] and the 1525 with the problem) along with a wireless Dell printer. The 600m laptop has no issues with staying connected to the router and networked printer which leads me to think that the problem with the 1525 is with that computer and not the router.

What happens is that the computer connects just fine and stays connected for about an hour before it stops working. This occurs while using the internet. It just stops connecting to websites and needs to be restarted before it will connnect again. Additionally, the connection does not work well with the wireless printer. It either doesn't work at all or information is sent to the printer and a page or two is printed and stops without printing the whole "print job". Sometimes it will stop halfway through a page.

It seems to me that these two issues would be related to the wireless card/modem in some way. I have tried going to Dell Support and found an update for the wireless software which I installed but the disconnection and printer problems continued. I did locate the wireless card slot for this computer but it does not have a card in it. All there is, is a plastic slot filler type of thing in there. So I assume the actual device is internal.

I don't know if this is worth mentioning or not but I have the free versions of ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG AntiVirus installed on both computers. I'm not sure if there may be some access issue or setting that may be causing the problem for the 1525 computer or not. I may have missed placing something important on the "safe" list.

Well I hope that is enough information to get started with. Please let me know if you need any other information to figure things out.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

This could be an incompatibility between your router/ISP and Windows Vista. Without the specific error message it's hard to tell tho'
This article explains a workaround for incompatibility issues in Vista networking: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

WARNING!!! This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users