Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down during some games

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 legault25

legault25

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

This is probably the best place for this post. Let me know if it should be elsewhere. Anyway, my problem stands as thus.

I used to have GTA: San Andreas on my computer, a Compaq Presario CQ-50 notebook. My computer would run it for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes, and then shut down. Not even go through the shut down process, just power off with no warning. I uninstalled GTA, and just today bought Fallout 3. I installed it, and after I launched the game, it went for about 5-7 minutes before doing the same thing. Here are a few other things about my computer, if it helps.

Processor: ADM Turion Dual-Core RM-70
Disk Space: 112 GB free of 176 GB

If anything needs clarification, I'll be happy to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, not sure if this is related, but when I put the disk in the drive, the drive loaded it, but very loudly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

More often than not, when a computer shuts down without warning, it's utilizing a failsafe instruction within BIOS, namely if the CPU's overheating to shut down immediately to prevent any damage (or some other component, but usually the CPU). Being that it's a notebook, it's probably just getting too hot, as laptops/notebooks are prone to do. Also, after a quick look-up of your notebook, I can tell you that even though you can run the game, it's not really conducive to gaming, especially for long periods of time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd recommend not playing graphics intensive games on it.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

nahhhh i run games on my laptop all the time
tried updating graphics card drivers
turn all crap in msconfig OFF and yea see if that does any thing

#4 legault25

legault25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

Well, I managed to keep it on once I moved the laptop off of my desk. I think because the heat vent is mostly on the bottom, once I got it to a place where it was open all the way, it worked fine.I just bought a Targus Chill Mat from Best Buy this morning, and we'll see if that helps me keep iot cool enough to play on my desk.

Venek, I've played Oblivion for hours on my computer, and last night, I played Fallout 3 for around two and a half hours. I've never had a problem. I think it was just the overheating. But thanks for the help and heads-up.

#5 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

Fair enough...

It's beyond me why some laptop manufacturers will put all the heat on the bottom and the vents, which would make it almost always blocked. Sheesh.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#6 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

can always use this site to see if your computer can handle it but definitely sounds like overheating to me

Http://www.srtest.com

i like using this site before i get a game

#7 DA8686

DA8686

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

I agree with the other posters that this could be an overheating problem. I have had this happen before as well. I am also interested to hear if the chillmat works for your since I am considering getting one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users