Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is SpyHunter still suspected to be a rogue?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

In the past, SpyHunter was considered to be a rogue by the community because of spamadvertising. The situation might have changed now so I'd like to ask if the program is still a rogue, already safe or still being debated. All input on this will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:08 AM

The two websites which seem to be involved with this program have bad ratings from Web of Trust members:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/enigmasoftware.com

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/spywareremove.com
James

#3 SimoneK

SimoneK

• Banned
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:21 AM

i don't see it on

rogue list

so maybe it is not anymore, but who knows

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:38 AM

The Rogue list is very out of date now.
James

#5 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi Loyd,
You might be interested in the following:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.ph...asc&start=0

http://www.securitycadets.com/category/enigma/

I wouldn't trust them nor would I support their business practices by buying,using, or recommending spyhunter.

:thumbsup:

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

i don't see it on

rogue list

so maybe it is not anymore, but who knows

They probably weren't added because they (Enigma Software) got mad when the entire security community suggested that their program (SpyHunter) should be considered a rogue.

Hi Lloyd,
You might be interested in the following:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.ph...asc&start=0

http://www.securitycadets.com/category/enigma/

I wouldn't trust them nor would I support their business practices by buying,using, or recommending spyhunter.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link! :flowers: Apparently, Enigma Software has decided to listen to the security communitiy's demands. After watching some of their YouTube videos, they seem to have clean up their act.

Of course, I would never trust them because of their past. If I wanted to clean my system, I'll use Malwarebytes instead.

#7 AndyAtHull

AndyAtHull

SecurityCadet

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup: Apparently, Enigma Software has decided to listen to the security communitiy's demands. After watching some of their YouTube videos, they seem to have clean up their act.

Of course, I would never trust them because of their past. If I wanted to clean my system, I'll use Malwarebytes instead.

I would say that is propoganda in all honesty. If they can paint a picture that includes us helping them it's all goof media for them.

I wouldnt trust them ever again.
Andrew Kleijn

Follow me on: Twitter

#8 OneMoreUser

OneMoreUser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

My experience with SpyHunter 4 from today.

I got a browser hijacker, not the first one I see in my life so I removed it manually but it came back: I looked for removal tools. ''free SpyHunter'' of course looked very attractive. It detected some 80+ threats but when I tried to use the remove function the program said it cannot remove the threats unless I buy the paid version. This is not exactly what I would call honest marketing practice and the price seemed too high for me so I got a trial version of another program. This trial version detected only 2 threats and actually removed them. The price for the full version of the other program was lower so I uninstalled SpyHunter. Before the uninstall the SpyHunter gave me an ''offer for a new lower price with a chance to save 75%'' but of course  I uninstalled it.

So I guess they have been delisted because of to litigation threats or something like that but they not changed anything in their practices, still using what seems to be false positives and deceptive marketing. Stay away from them.

Who am I? Another user. What do I want? To share my experience and maybe warn someone not to waste their time, nerves and money on this suspicious product: Not advertising a competitor's program because I did not name it:  

SpyHunter still behaves like a rogue even if not officially listed.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

SpyHunter is scareware.  Stay away from it.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

SpyHunter still behaves like a rogue even if not officially listed.

Nice thread necro :whistle:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users