Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

common folder with helper.sig

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sultrynights

sultrynights

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

I posted this in another section and someone suggested I add a plea for help here. When I turned my computer on the other day a folder popped up titled common and inside is helper.sig. I've read that it could either be a problem with a program installed or downloaded improperly or a virus....

We did buy an epson printer, replacing our hp (which we had problems with, attempting to remove and add a few times before giving up and buying the new one) so I was wondering if that could be the problem? Otherwise, am I infected and if so what can I do to get rid of this? I downloaded ad-aware by lavasoft, and although that picked up and removed several things my spybot didn't get, the common folder with helper.sig is still coming up when I turn on the computer.

Somebody please help me!!!!

Thanks!!

Denise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

Hi, this is most likely not malware but let's check first before we do the next thing.

Next run ATF:
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Next run MBAM:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.32) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from
    here
    and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer,
    copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD
    and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is
difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do
so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its
disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please
temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Hi boopme

Thanks so much for helping me with this. Again, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I wasn't online. I went through the steps you listed and nothing turned up on Malwarebytes. Here is the log you requested.

So, does this mean I'm not infected? If not, just what is this helper.sig? The only change I can think of is that we had some problems with our hp printer (had to try uninstalling and reinstalling it, but no luck) so we had to install a new one. This time, however, we got an epson. I doubt that would cause a common folder to pop up though, would it?

I'm not normally on in the evenings, but I will check back throughout the day to see if you've had a chance to reply.

Again, thank you!!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1795
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2/23/2009 7:31:59 AM
mbam-log-2009-02-23 (07-31-59).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 89783
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by denvid, 23 February 2009 - 07:38 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi Denise, Actually that was one of maybe three tools I wanted to run. So let's run SAS next and see what happens. Run from your regular user account.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi! Thanks again for helping. Okay, I went ahead and downloaded. It's running now. I will add in the results when it's finished.

Okay, here are the results. And yes, sadly, the common folder with helper.sig did pop up after rebooting.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 02/23/2009 at 01:56 PM

Application Version : 4.25.1012

Core Rules Database Version : 3770
Trace Rules Database Version: 1729

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:19:16

Memory items scanned : 527
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6247
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 156969
File threats detected : 28

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@247realmedia[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@ad.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@ad.yieldmanager[4].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@adbrite[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@adopt.specificclick[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@ads.adbrite[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@ads.contextual.ad-flow[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@ads.pointroll[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@advertising[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@advertising[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@advertising[3].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@atdmt[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@chitika[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@kontera[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@overture[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@pcstats[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@questionmarket[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@revsci[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@sales.liveperson[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@sales.liveperson[3].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@specificclick[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@specificmedia[2].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@tracking.dsmmadvantage[1].txt
C:\USERDATA\Cookies\hp_administrator@tribalfusion[1].txt

Trojan.Unknown Origin
C:\USERDATA\APPLICATION DATA\404AE54622F0A7

At least this one found and removed several other problems! :thumbsup: Okay, I'll be back on tomorrow. Thanks again!

Edited by denvid, 23 February 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

OK, that's fine. When you right click on the folder and select properties does the folder contain any files. Also what does it say after location?

#7 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

I told you I'm not much on computers, I hadn't thought to right click on the folder! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Here's everything it listed: It contains 1 file, 0 folders, size 34 KB, size on disk 36.0 KB, it's a SIG File, attributes - read only was checked and it's located in C:\ProgramFiles\common

Also, it was created Thursday evening and that's when we installed the new epson printer, so could it have something to do with that?

Thanks!!

#8 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hi there, sorry to butt in like this. Have encountered this in a few Malware situations and there is a method for removal.

Please download Brute Force Uninstaller .
  • Right click the downloaded BFU folder, and choose Extract All
  • Click "Next"
  • In the box to choose where to extract the files to,
  • Click "Browse"
  • Click on the + sign next to "My Computer"
  • Click on "Local Disk (C:) or whatever your primary drive is
  • Click "Make New Folder"
  • Type in BFU
  • Click "Next", and Uncheck the "Show Extracted Files" box and then click "Finish".
RIGHT-CLICK HERE and choose "Save As" (in IE it's "Save Target As") in order to download DeepDive Remover.
Save it in the same folder you made earlier (c:\BFU).

Then, please go to Start > My Computer and navigate to the C:\BFU folder.
  • Start the Brute Force Uninstaller by doubleclicking BFU.exe
  • Behind the scriptline to execute field click the folder icon Posted Image and select DeepDive.bfu
  • Press Execute and let the program do itís job. (Do not be startled as your taskbar will disappear for a little while.)
  • Wait for the complete script execution box to pop up and press OK.
  • Press exit to terminate the BFU program.
  • A notepad file called BFUlogdeepdive.txt will be created on the systemdrive (usually the location will be C:\BFUlogdeepdive.txt). Post the content of that file please.
Hope that helps.
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

Thanks jp! :thumbsup:

#10 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

Since that link posted says the page is missing I looked around and found a download for brute force uninstaller at freshpcfix.com. The page header is Perfect Uninstaller. Do you know if that would be a reliable page to download from?

Edited by denvid, 24 February 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

I prefer you get it here.

http://majorgeeks.com/Brute_Force_Uninstaller_BFU_d4714.html

#12 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Okay, thank you! I'm going to download it now.

#13 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

Okay, found the file and it seems to be ready to execute. Thanks again boopme and ipshortstuff for all the help. I'll edit this to post the results.

BFU v1.11.0
Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600 SP2)
Script started at 1:28:46 PM, on 2/24/2009

Option Unload Explorer: Yes
Option Delete files to Recycle Bin: Yes
Success: ProcessKillByPID 928
Success: ProcessKill C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe|1
Success: ProcessKillByPID 3208
Success: ProcessKill iexplore.exe|1
Failed: DllUnregister C:\Program Files\Common\helper.dll|1 (file not found)
Failed: DllUnregister C:\Program Files\Common\_helper.dll|1 (file not found)
Failed: DllUnregister \main.dll|1 (file not found)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\main.DLL (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{A0E1054B-01EE-4D57-A059-4D99F339709F} (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AFD4AD01-58C1-47DB-A404-FBE00A6C5486} (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{986A8AC1-AB4D-4F41-9068-4B01C0197867} (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{8E3C68CD-F500-4A2A-8CB9-132BB38C3573} (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\main.BHO (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\main.BHO.1 (key does not exist)
Failed: RegDeleteKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{AFD4AD01-58C1-47DB-A404-FBE00A6C5486} (key does not exist)
Success: FolderDelete C:\Program Files\Common
Success: SystemRun C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe||1
Script completed at 1:29:28 PM.

Okay, I rebooted and the folder is gone!!! :thumbsup: Thank you both so much for all the help!!!!!! :flowers:

Denise

Edited by denvid, 24 February 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hi Denise, you're welcome from all of us at BC, If there are no more isues here then,,,,
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#15 sultrynights

sultrynights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Okay, that was easy enough! Again, thank you so much for all the help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users