Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS WORKS PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

MS works will only print to a file even though it isnt selected on the printer set-up page.

It worked fine until I loaded printfil which i needed to print from another old DOS program but noiw when i try and print it always asks for a file name even though i havent got thew print to file option selected anywhere that i know of.

Could someone please help me as this is driving me crazy.

Thanks

Steve

P.S.#

I am using XP and an Photosmart 8150, it even asks for a filename when I ask it to print a test page, which seems strange to me !

i HAVE ALSO JUST FOUND THAT I HAVE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM FROM ALL PROGRAMS NOW,,,PLEASE HELP. i NEED TO USE MY PRINTER REGULARLY ?

Edited by Madforit, 21 February 2009 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GNorman

GNorman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

It worked fine until I loaded printfil which i needed to print from another old DOS program but noiw when i try and print it always asks for a file name even though i havent got thew print to file option selected anywhere that i know of.

You may have setup Printfil to capture the LPT1: port and you're printing from Windows to a printer connected to the same port. This makes Printfil capturing the Windows print jobs (as well as the DOS ones) and, if it's setup to print to file in GDI mode, it triggers the request for the file name you see.

If this is your case, then just put Printfil in "Suspend" mode when you need to print from Windows to the printer physically connected to the LPT1: port (or run Printfil just when you need to print from DOS).
Otherwise you may contact the Printfil's support for further info: Printfil Support Site

Hope this help.

Regards,
GN

#3 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

I Think I have solved it now by a simple system restore and also by re-enabling the print spooler service which was stopped for some reason.
If I have any more problems I will get straight back to you.

Thanks Again

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users