Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use Recovery Console BSOD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Paul103

Paul103

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

When I try to boot into windows I get the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or corrupted text. I tried using my windows cd
but when I press r and it takes me to the menu to select the windows installation it gives me a BSOD.
STOP 0x00000051 REGISTRY ERROR
It's a Dell E520, Windows XP SP3
I ran hdd diagnostic and it said that it was fine.
When I press the "setup windowx xp" option and agree to the terms I still get a bsod.
I've tried reading other forum posts but none of them have a solution. I can only type one value in the recovery console which is the number 1 which stands for my windows install.
Can you see me now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

It sounds like you've taken the proper steps to troubleshoot this issue.
The next step would be (IMO) to run a memory diagnostic on your system. I recommend this free one: http://www.memtest86.com/
Read the directions carefully to make a bootable disk, boot from it and let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better).
If it starts spitting errors out you can stop the test immediately and start troubleshooting the individual RAM sticks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

<<...but when I press r and it takes me to the menu to select the windows installation it gives me a BSOD.>>

<<I can only type one value in the recovery console which is the number 1 which stands for my windows install.>>

In my mind, those two sentences don't say the same thing.

After you type the 1 and hit Enter...exactly what happens? Do you get to attempt to enter a password?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

You (probably) cannot access the Recovery Console (probably) because the registry may not be the only thing corrupted. If NTFS is corrupted, any effort to boot into or access the current install...will probably be a waste of time and an exercise in futility.

But...you can always try the Guided Help in the link above.

Louis

#4 Paul103

Paul103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

usasma I replaced the ramsticks and ran full hardware diagnostics. After I type in 1 and press enter, the BSOD pops up. Im trying to get into my files with ubuntu.
Can you see me now?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Which diagnostic did you use? How long did it run for?
If it was as I suggested, then run it longer (try for 10 passes).

Beyond that (and hamluis' advice) I'd have to suspect an issue with your motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Paul103

Paul103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

I did multiple passes. I got into ubunto and I can access all my files. Can someone tell me what to do further?
Can you see me now?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

Well...if I were in your situation, I would back up and move my Favorites, my email, possibly my cookies...and move any and all data files which I wanted to use...to a different partition.

It won't hurt to prepare for the worst.

I don't know anything about linux distros but I suspect that's all that you would be able to do from such. It does us no good to try to use linux distros for much else when dealing with XP (IMO) because the major tools for repairing/troubleshooting XP...are on the XP CD (which you cannot use).

I don't know if XP will let you move any system files...and I have no idea if doing such would be of any value. If you eventually have to do a clean install to boot into XP, I believe it's best to make it as painless as possible.

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

I'm glad that you were able to get in using Ubuntu.
I'd have to suggest backing up your stuff, formatting your hard drive, and then reinstalling Windows.

#9 Paul103

Paul103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have no idea how to use Ubuntu. How can I get the permission to move my files from drive c (the corrupt one) to drive E ? I'm using a livecd
Can you see me now?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

Before going any further...how many physical hard drives on this system, as opposed to partitions?

Louis

Edit: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=H...mp;aq=f&oq=

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#11 Paul103

Paul103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

There are 2 hdds. I want to use that ntfs 3g thing to move the important files from C to E. Unless I could find a way to get this to work
Can you see me now?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

I can't really advise for anything...whenever I've come across a corrupt registry, I just do a clean install (even though I have backups system images I could use).

I don't see a clean install as the onerous burden some do...partly because I do systematic backups, but mainly because it's just the only cure for certain situations that can be accomplished easily, routinely, and with limited waste time.

I've never used linux for anything, although I've taken a look at a distro or two.

Louis

#13 Paul103

Paul103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

WOOHOO! I fixed it! I didn't have to do any windows reinstall and lose my files that I forgot to back up.
If you have the same problem and you stumbled upon this thread here is what you do:
1 Get the newest version of ubuntu live cd
2 Go to applications and add and remove then search for NTFS
3 Install the NTFS plugin
4 Follow this guide (credit goes to kerroPanic from the ubuntu forums)
HowTo: Fix Corrupted Windows Registry from Ubuntu partition
I run a dual boot on my work laptop because there are some work related apps that do not run so well
on my ubuntu partition. Anyhow I ran into the dreaded

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

error message. I tried to follow the solution that Microsoft has available on their tech support site, but
was not able to get to the recovery console, not even through the boot cd!!

The steps below are how I fixed the problem!

* Install NTFS-3G

This package allows you to perform I/O on an NTFS filesystem.

* Install NTFSProgs

This package contains some useful admin tools to use on NTFS filesystems

* Mount NTFS filesystem

You will need to mount your Windows partition to backup your corrupted registry files. To do this run the following commands

sudo mkdir /media/windows
			  sudo ntfs-3g -o rw /dev/<device-name> /media/windows

if you get a message regarding Windows not being shutdown properly, then run the following command to force the mount

sudo ntfs-3g -o force,rw /dev/<device-name> /media/windows

Both of the above commands will mount the device as read-write.

* Replace these files

You might want to back up the files in /media/windows/WINDOWS/system32/config/ before replacing them just in case this is not a registry problem

Now copy the following files from the file /media/windows/System Volume Information/_restore{xxx}/RPxxx/snapeshot/ dir:

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

to the /media/windows/WINDOWS/system32/config/ dir and name them as follows:

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT => default
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY => security
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE => software
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM => system
			  _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM => sam

* Schedule a consistency check

Run this command to schedule a NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows

sudo ntfsfix /dev/<device-name>

* Reboot into Windows twice

The first reboot you should get a blue screen telling you that you should run a filesystem consistency check. Let the check run and then the second reboot should bring you back into a bootable Windows

Hope this helps!!

That should work!
Can you see me now?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Sounds like a good fix - glad that it worked for you!

What it appears to do is what's referred to as a manual registry repair - by replacing the files in the registry with those from a snapshot in System Restore.
It also does some sort of file system check that's (I presume) similar to chkdsk /r

A couple of caveats here from my experience:
- backup the registry files in the /media/windows/WINDOWS/system32/config/ directory by renaming them to .OLD (or something similar).
- select the most recent system snapshot that you can - the older the snapshot, the less likely that it is to work (IME).
- run the consistency check first (if possible) as that may repair the NTFS issues without having to restore the registry.

This sort of repair can also be done from the Windows PE environment (and you can use chkdsk /r from there also).
Another option (for those who get here from a search) is to run a bootable disk diagnostic to check the hard drive for hardware issues.

Edited by usasma, 22 February 2009 - 07:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users