Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New HDD SMART Problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tripleblack

tripleblack

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Only one remaining "problem", which started late yesterday. When I boot, and before windows starts, on the black DOS screen, I get a message that the S.M.A.R.T. capability of the primary HDD is defective, and that HDD failure is imminent.......press F1 to continue. Scary!!!!! The HDD is only 3 months old. The problem began yesterday, immediately after a spontaneous hot shutdown due to the fact that I forgot to unload my spyware/virus guard programs before doing an online scan.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Since the HD is only 3 months old return it as defective & get a replacement.
Once SMART is "tripped" they usually don't get better & will eventually fail .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

Backup immediately!!! That's a warning that the drive may die. It's cheaper and easier to back it up now. After it fails it'll cost a bundle to recover what's there (if that's even possible).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

S.M.A.R.T. warning has mysteriously not appeared for about 1 week now.
I have not done anything to cause the abrupt disappearance.
IS IT POSSIBLE that it was a software issue due to replacing shell32.dll in the System32 folder??????
Meanwhile, I received the warranty replacement drive from SeaGate. It is a REFURBISHED Barracuda ST3250620A.
My original drive is 13 months old, and came with a full 5 year warranty.

I'm thinking of leaving well enough alone, and returning the refurb unit.
Thoughts?

Edited by tripleblack, 04 March 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Refurbs are common replacements for new drives sent in under warranty provisions (in my experience). The original warranty period still applies and refurbished hard drives with an original warranty...are not the same as those refurbed drives provided by some resellers with a 30-to-90 day warranty.

You could always run a manufacturer's diagnostic on both drives, for purposes of comparison...to convince yourself that you are making the right decision...if you haven't already done such.

The Seagate diagnostic tools are available at their website, SeaTools for DOS.

Louis

#6 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I ran all tests on SeaTools for Windows on the "old" drive last week.
ALL tests were clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users