Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Fixing C:\ Icon In My Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Unique666

Unique666

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

1. My Dad turned on his computer and jerked the plug out of the wall about 6 times in a row because the Internet wouldn't work, in hopes that it would fix the computer.

2. It messed up the hard drive, and it wouldn't boot any more.

3. I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP.

4. Some idiot put a virus in a free trial of Eset Smart Security, and I downloaded it since I needed a virus scanner.

5. It changed a bunch of registry settings that I didn't want to search for and fix so I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP a second time.

6. The computer is virus free, but I can no longer open C:\ by double clicking on it. I can only open it by right-clicking and choosing explore. When I double click on C:\, it tries to open a .com file (part of the virus) that was hidden in RECYCLER. I just need some help fixing the icon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Try the fix given here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/19/u...torunvbs-error/

It's not exactly the same problem but it might work.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

I'm confused... if you reformatted and reinstalled XP (twice) then the drive would have been clean and no "Recycler" file or folder would be left over.
Unless you are using an external drive to reinstall Windows...that may still be infected.
Anyway...
If you still have the problem... you could try this.
Go to Ramesh's Site and scroll down to
Frequently used Tips & fixes for Windows XP and choose "Drive" Association Fix for XP

This is a registry modifying file so ...
Registry Warning:
Modifying the registry incorrectly, can cause problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from -improper- modifications to the registry can be solved.
If you do not have experience with the system registry, then do not attempt to make changes on your own.
Before any changes are made always create a backup (export) of the registry... also create a System Restore point.

Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

#4 DangerMom

DangerMom

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

For the record, I was having this exact problem after reinstalling my Windows software. I tried the SECOND suggestion first, the fix from Ramesh's site, as it was the least involved of the two. It did NOT fix the problem. The FIRST suggestion, at the My Digital Life site, was more involved and required more hands-on work, but DID fix the problem perfectly.

My thanks to Budapest!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users