Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot uninstall avg free 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jrx

Jrx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi,

I'm using windows xp sp3 and I cant uninstall avg 8. I've already tried many things(smitfraud, spybot, revounsinstall, etc.). I even tried avgremove(in safe mode) but it didnt work. When I tried to end avg processes in the task manager it just keeps coming back. when I tried to delete the avg folder I got the error "avgse.dll is in use or write protected".

Can someone please help me!!! :flowers:

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

An AV program (or any other, for that matter) may not allow a user to uninstall it..as long it is still running in the background. AV programs routinely have scanners running as processes once the system is booted.

The way to overcome that is to...go to Task Manager and manually stop any process listed which relates to the application installed...then go back and uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

Edit: Alternatively, you could try uninstalling the program from safe mode.

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

Like a lot of AV programs, AVG has its own unistall tool which you can find at this link.

http://www.avg.com/us.download-tools

#4 Jrx

Jrx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

Hi :flowers:.

An AV program (or any other, for that matter) may not allow a user to uninstall it..as long it is still running in the background. AV programs routinely have scanners running as processes once the system is booted.

The way to overcome that is to...go to Task Manager and manually stop any process listed which relates to the application installed...then go back and uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

Edit: Alternatively, you could try uninstalling the program from safe mode.

Hi hamluis,

I've already tried both of what you said but when I tried to end the process it keeps coming back(the process ehich I ended). In safe mode, I have the problem avgse.dll is still running make sure the disk is not full or write-protected.

Any suggestions?
Thanks... :thumbsup:

@frankp316,

I couldn't make the avg remover run even in safe mode.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite Firewall (AntiVirFirewallService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avfwsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite MailGuard (AntiVirMailService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avmailc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\sched.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite Guard (AntiVirService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avguard.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite WebGuard (antivirwebservice) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\AVWEBGRD.EXE (file missing)

Are there any signs of infection, past or present?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

I would try this

First disable teatimer

We need to disable Spybot S&D's "TeaTimer"
TeaTimer works by preventing ANY changes to the system. It will attempt to undo any fixes we run, because it blocks these fixes from running.

In order to safeguard your system from problems that can be brought on by a half finished fix, we need to disable TeaTimer. We can reenable it when we're done if you like.
  • Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Posted Image and then on "Advanced Mode"
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Uncheck this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy
reboot

Download the latest installation file of AVG from the Download section of our website

After downloading, run this file and choose the Uninstall Product option in the Select Setup Type dialog
Finish the uninstallation process and restart your computer

http://www.avg.com/download
Chewy

#7 Jrx

Jrx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite Firewall (AntiVirFirewallService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avfwsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite MailGuard (AntiVirMailService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avmailc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\sched.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite Guard (AntiVirService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avguard.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Premium Security Suite WebGuard (antivirwebservice) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\AVWEBGRD.EXE (file missing)

Are there any signs of infection, past or present?

Greeting Dachew,

Yes! I think I have an infection in the system. My Avira was destroyed by this infection. My laptop was running very slow until I had Avira removed. I tried reinstalling avira but it says that "the crc sum of c:\program files\avira..." So i installed avg now I want to remove avg and cant. Also I cant use the rescue cd of avira cause my laptop only have 190Mb of RAM (i can run the rescue cd but it cannot finish the scan). I think the infection was trojan.xpack cause it was the last thing i saw before avira crashed. I will your last post and update you on what has happened.

Thank you Master Dachew!!!

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

Keep all this as a reference but since you are infected and have posted a HJT log you should wait for a helper there and only follow his advise
Chewy

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

As you currently have an active log posted in the HiJackThis forums you should not attempt any other fixes unless so advised by the helper there. As such, this topic is closed.

Chewy

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

Your HJT log has been moved. Please read the directions in the PM that was sent to you

You have a HJT log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Edited by garmanma, 22 February 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users