Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to monitor LAN!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hello guys, I would like to have a software to see all computers and routers in my network. Many times, you just have this feeling someone is connected to your network and you want to trace his IP or MAC address? Do you guys have that?

I know I could look up the log of the router, but that is tedious at times. I would like to have one fast program, that will show me who is logged in in my network (e.g. me, my router, my mom, my neigbor).

thanks,
patbox
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

Quick Google search found this freeware.

[edit - deleted link]

Looks like it should do what you need...

Kang

Edited by Commander_Kang, 21 February 2009 - 02:40 PM.

...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

#3 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hold on before installing that app...mcafee is giving me some alerts...i'll get back to you.

#4 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

I installed the program - FinitySoft Network Monitor 1.3 - ignored the alerts from McAfee - seems to work fine, shows lots of detailed information, maybe more than you need. I can't speak to the integrity of the program (ie - the presence or absence of spyware / malware) but you can find it available for download from numerous reputable software sites. I'll be uninstalling it from my machine - I prefer to get my stats directly from my router.

Good luck.

Kang

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Simple procedure using built-in commands

Start, Run, type cmd and press Enter

in the command window type netstat -a
Anything with a IP number in the Foreign address column are other computers with established connection. Ignore your computer and ignore localhost entries.

#6 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:16 AM

Yes, that is true but those are like www.google.com or www.bleepingcomputer.com computers. What I want to know is which computers are connected to my wifi router (except of me and myself). :-)

#7 cyberkamote

cyberkamote

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

Yes, that is true but those are like www.google.com or www.bleepingcomputer.com computers. What I want to know is which computers are connected to my wifi router (except of me and myself). :-)

hmm, so did FinitySoft app did what was expected?

#8 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

The problem with FinitySoft is that once you try to download it the antivirus will say that it has patterns of viruses/malware/infection. Thus, I never installed it actually.

#9 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hey Patbox, I found this software called 'Air Snare' that i thought it would help you. It will detect the router, machines and even switch/hub.

I tried it and it worked and i'm going to keep using it.
Click under network adapters to scan the network traffic

Air Snare

Hope it helps.

#10 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

I installed the FinitySoft app in spite of the objections of my McAfee software. I did this because most av / firewalls don't like any program whose purpose is to monitor and report on your pc or network activity. The program actually had a decent look, and seemed to function well. However, when I uninstalled the program and did a full system scan, my McAfee reported an instance of "Generic PUP.z", which is what it alerted on during the install. I don't know if this PUP will be attached to all downloads of FinitySoft, or if was just the version I downloaded from brothersoft.com. I guess it's up to the individual user whether this program is worth it.

Kang

#11 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

I tried to install more of this type of softwares. Those softwares that are from www.download.com usually do not come with any problems and the antivirus is not objecting to it. If the software is not registered at www.download.com I do not really trust it. BUT I was not happy with the other softwares I got from www.download.com neither. They try to install stuff to your start up and services, and it is difficult to get rid of it. Further they try to change settings of your firewall and so on. So this is really difficult to find a good simple light software.

#12 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

You can still issue the ipconfig -a command. The second column over should have a bunch of entries like [computer name]:xxxx. If any of these computer names is not one that is normally on your network, issue the ping command like so: ping [computer name]. The line immediately following your command should say something like Pinging NotMyComputer [192.168.0.11]. That's the local IP address for that computer.

Or you could just set up WPA encryption and not worry about that sort of thing.

Edited by darkslategrey, 28 February 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#13 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

If I type ipconfig I still see just my IP address and then the router IP address. Which is fine, but I do not see what other PCs are linked to the router.

a. One way to find out about other PC would be to ping anything around your router by guessing the IP address. E.g. if the router is 192.168.1.1 you could ping 192.168.1.2, ...3, ...4, ...5 and so on. Obviously this is not very efficient for several reasons.

b. You could use some sort of software, that reads the information from your router about who is linked to the router. I do not have such software.

c. You could linking to the router directly. The shortcoming of this is that this will only work if you have the password to the router, which you might not have especially if it is your neighbors network.

d. You could have some sort of programe, that scans the IPs in your network. I have such a sort of software, you give it a rage e.g. scan between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.100, but this is also a bit of a guess work, and the software does not seem to work well.

Edited by patbox, 28 February 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

patbox,

there is always WallWatcher and Wireshark you can use.

Each will show you what IP is connecting in or out. WallWatcher is simple display, Wireshark

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

will give you details of every packet and summaries of what's connecting.

I'd use WallWatcher

http://www.wallwatcher.com/

since it tells you precisely what the router sees, all the activity from every IP it sees, outside the router or on the LAN. But an IP may be connected and not showing any activity, in which case, who cares, it's harmless.

Wireshark is more of a view what's communicating with your network adapter.

As far as "what other PCs are connected to the router" - isn't there a Device list in the router web page someplace to tell you? If not get another router.

#15 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

@tos226 thanks I will check the softwares. This is the question: can I see from my PC what my sister is doing on her PC? Which packets she is receiving and so on? If wall watcher is doing that, I am happy :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users